FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Lakanto sweeteners  (Read 2105 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Lakanto sweeteners
« on: October 19, 2019, 09:49:01 AM »
A sweetener made from monk fruit is often recommended for WW and keto recipes. People say good things about it.

How would you interpret this labeling if you are dealing with shellfish and peanut allergies?

Lakanto products are free of:

Wheat

Dairy 

Egg

Fish

Gluten

Sesame

Soy

Peanut (only in our new Peanut Butter Powder)

The following products have milk, eggs, fish, shellfish and soy present in the same manufacturing plant: Lakanto Classic Monkfruit Sweetener, Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener, Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener, Lakanto Pure Monkfruit Extract 50% and 30%, Matcha, Lakanto Drinking Chocolate, Lakanto Low-Carb Pancake & Waffle Mix, and Lakanto Low-Carb Brownie Mix.
The following products have Soy present in the same manufacturing plant and is present in other products manufactured on the same line:  Maple Flavored Syrup, Liquid Monk Fruit Extracts, Flavoring Syrups, and Chocolate Syrup.

The following products have tree nuts and soy in the same manufacturing plants and are present in other products manufactured on the same line: Plain, Almond, and Nib Chocolate Bars.

Almonds (tree nuts) are present in Almond Chocolate Bars.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Lakanto sweeteners
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 10:33:12 AM »
Well, since they go on to specify products with shared lines, I’d presume the ones that don’t, Arron shared lines.  That suits our comfort zone, if I have that level of detail.  But, not sure if that’s good enough for you.  Swerve is good too.  I’ve used the powdered version for sweetening whipped cream a bit, and use it on berries.  I do closer to keto, so don’t avoid fat, but keep carbs very low.  I’m not sure I like the Lakanto.  I’ve got some, but didn’t love the few things I tried to make.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 11:07:10 AM »
It's confusing...

Is there another company that makes a similar sweetener?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 11:55:27 AM »
I agree—confusing. And I think they were trying to be really clear. Oops.

Becca, that’s good to know. I had looked up Swerve before but hasn’t seen allergens in their FAQs, but when i googles, I found this.
https://swervesweet.com/videos/swerve-and-allergens

Since we ate not allergic to almonds (but only by PF almonds) this works for us with the cleaning.

A blog response below the video says it’s sesame free.

But it’s too bad you have to watch a video to get their allergen info.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 12:49:56 PM »
I hadn’t checked allergens because dd would be having the product.  But good to know Swerve seems ok for you.  I just watched the video, and with the swabbing, I’d be ok letting her try it, if I made a sweet treat with it.

FYI for any others following and using other sugar substitutes, xylitol is very toxic to dogs.  I know we only discussed erithritol and monk fruit, thus far.  But, McC, xylitol and stevia might be options for you too.  There are a few comprehensive reviews on all the options, best tasting, pros/cons out on Facebook and YouTube keto or low carb pages and channels.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:58:11 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 06:13:29 PM »
Clarification: xylitol can be deathly to dogs, even in small amounts!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum