FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cookie Sheets  (Read 2183 times)

Description: Looking for recommendations

Offline spacecanada

Cookie Sheets
« on: May 03, 2020, 07:02:27 PM »
Our cookie sheets (baking sheets) are good, but they are aluminium and they occasionally give off a black residue on my hands. We always using parchment paper, so we know it isn’t leeching into our food. I would like to replace them, but I have a terrible history with baking pans and have gone through too many of them.

Does anyone have a baking pan for cookies that they absolutely love and would recommend?  It has to have rimmed edges all the way around, because I also use them for things other than cookies, like roasting vegetables or seeds.

As we use parchment, non-stock isn’t important, and I would honestly prefer to avoid chemical coatings. I love cast iron and ceramic for this reason, but my ceramic pan went bye-bye a few new allergens ago due to cross contact fears.

What do you recommend?
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Cookie Sheets
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 07:07:49 PM »
I don’t have a recommendation; I’ve been using heavy duty cookie sheets that I bought at Costco wins ago. But I’m curious about the residue, because after close to 50 (!) years of use my mom’s old electric frying pan started doing the same thing!  It wasn’t usable anymore, but it broke my heart to get rid of it. I have no idea what caused it.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 07:23:53 PM »
Aluminium oxidizes, like copper turns green or iron rusts. It is often slower and finer but it happens. That is the black residue.  Anodized aluminium doesn’t oxidize in the same way, but I cannot find anodized bakeware.

I am considering ceramic again, but my allergy list keeps growing and that concerns me in many ways, including allergens sitting in pores of ceramic bakeware. Can I still use parchment on those?  (I never have in the past.)

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 08:42:11 PM »
I have shiny metal cookie sheets that I really like. They were a wedding gift 25 years ago and still look close to new even though I use them several times a week. Unfortunately, I have no idea what brand they are or what they’re made of - they have no markings on them at all.  They bake cookies more evenly than any other cookie sheet I have.

I found these on amazon that look almost identical to mine that are steel, so I’m guessing that’s what mine are. They don’t have a rim all the way around, but perhaps you could find some steel ones that do have a rim?

https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainless-Steel-Cookie-Sheet/dp/B000F7A58A
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 09:08:00 PM »
I saw Norpro ones on Amazon, too!  I will check for a rimmed version.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 04:17:44 PM »
I bet nameless has an opinion on this topic.  I’ll try to direct her here.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator