Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Shea  (Read 115 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Shea
« on: September 22, 2020, 10:08:42 AM »
I am considering purchasing a lotion that has Shea butter in it. Googling I find itís a nut....or a drupe. I eat other drupes.

Do people here eat/use it? (Is it ever edible? I donít know.)

Do people avoid it?

If you care to answer, please also include whether dealing with peanut or nut or both.

TIA

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Shea
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 11:19:06 AM »
DD who is not allergic to peanuts or tree nuts is allergic to Shea used topically. I am allergic to peanuts and tree nuts (but not drupees that Iím aware of) and I do not react to topical Shea. Neither of us has ingested it to my knowledge.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:25:51 PM »
Thank you for the info.

I read the labels of all the creams in my home. None have it.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 03:21:21 PM »
DD was contact sensitive for sure when she was a kid.  We avoid and she has not eaten.  Kleenex with shea made her whole face blow up when she was little and a lotion with shea irritated her skin too.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 05:54:33 PM »
I am contact sensitive to Shea as well. PN/TN allergy and eczema.
I don't know what I'm allergic to anymore... the list keeps growing.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 05:30:41 AM »
Dd is peanut/tree nut and uses Shea without issues.  I think itís in some chocolate, Iíd have to check, but I do think so.  Iíll have to check ingredients on safe brands she eats. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Ciel

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 03:31:24 PM »
I have no issues at all with shea butter. I use it in homemade lip balm and skin balms. I use it in a recipe to sooth my eczema, even. I guess with lip balm, I have ingested it. I havenít eaten it in nut form to my knowledge.

I am allergic to peanuts and tree nuts (specifically only pistachios and cashews as far as I know).

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 05:33:54 PM »
Iíve ordered it. Itís a home made cream, made by probably the only person in the world I would trust to make it for me.