FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Article: Mast cells crucial to causing osteoarthritis  (Read 1132 times)

Description:

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Article: Mast cells crucial to causing osteoarthritis
« on: October 13, 2020, 06:16:13 PM »
https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2019/05/mast-cells-crucial-to-causing-osteoarthritis.html?fbclid=IwAR2oaS4GXSOY_QUwU0_bFyXqxxOzBk1--_52GyhIkNQ49_i4MAqPsQ8earY

Short excerpt:

Mast cells are best known as the culprits that produce the histamine and other molecules responsible for allergic symptoms, ranging from the itch of eczema to the mucous explosions of hay fever to the throat constriction of asthma or food-triggered anaphylaxis. But mast cells also produce a degradative protein, tryptase, that can rip up collagens and other molecules that form the cartilage in joints.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:18:40 PM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Article: Mast cells crucial to causing osteoarthritis
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 06:45:42 PM »
Very interesting. My BFF always complains of achy joints when her allergies are bad. Her allergist blew her off.  ~)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 06:38:35 PM »
It could explain why I have way more osteoarthritis than would be expected for my age. Just another reason to aggressively prevent allergic reactions, I guess.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 08:18:19 PM »
Same here. And rather than having it in one or two places, I have it everywhere, especially my neck and spine. Heck, I’ve already had a joint replacement in my hand.  ~)

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US