FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cheese please  (Read 3130 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Cheese please
« on: October 18, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »
Searched and there was nothing recent.

Is there a good cheese substitute? One that labels well for other allergens.

I am not allergic to dairy, but Symptoms from my dairy intolerance is extreme.

Offline spacecanada

Re: Cheese please
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 05:43:43 PM »
My husband likes Daiya shreds (mozzarella, cheddar, pepper jack) baked on pizzas, nachos, or toast. I don’t think it is something anyone would want to eat raw, though.

I have a vegetable and tofu (or some sort of nut) based cheesy sauce we use on pasta is you want the recipe.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 06:55:45 PM »
Thanks, I have a spaghetti sauce that doesn’t bother me.

I see they also have a “yoghurt”. 👍

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 11:56:27 AM »
If shared lines are an issue, give Daiya a call. They can tell you which items are made in their dedicated top-10-Free facility and which are made on shared lines or in a shared facility. They don’t always label for those.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 08:08:01 AM »
Go Dairy Free has a lot of reviews of substitute cheese based on what you need it for.  Obviously some don't work with nut allergies.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 01:01:56 PM »
The store we do trunk drops since pandemic started does not sell Daiya. Since we had to go to a different store this week I picked up a few. Cheddar block and shredded mozzarella.

Tried the block today to make some grilled cheese sandwiches, and also cut a small piece to just eat.

The colour was very good, as was the smell. It smelled like cheddar cheese. The taste...not perfect, but not bad. Usually I put a bit of garlic salt on my grilled cheese, but I wanted to try this without it. It needs flavours added. But I can see using it on nachos, tacos, or pizza. Well....the mozzarella cheese for the pizza.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 09:17:22 AM »
Found frozen Diaya pizzas on sale this week.  Have not tried them yet, but next time we order pizza, I get to have some with "cheese" too!

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 12:05:27 PM »
Please be careful with Daiya products if you have a milk allergy. Not all of their products are made in a milk-free facility. They have great customer service and can tell you which ones are made in a shared facility, and shared lines, if you call. (The shreds themselves are okay, last I checked... but they added potato - gah!)

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:48 AM »
Has anyone tried https://violifefoods.com/en_ca/ ?

It appears safe, even for my allergens. (Does have potato starch is some, not sure about all.) Since I don’t think it’s available at either of the stores I shop at I haven’t really looked into it to much. Just thought others might be interested.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 07:06:16 PM »
I have looked into it before but the potato kept me from trying it.  It looks promising, and someone in my local allergy group recommended it.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 09:22:58 AM »
The only place I can find it is Walmart. We don’t do any grocery shopping there. Maybe, if the world ever starts turning again I’ll be able to try it.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 04:45:22 PM »
The Daiya website says their product should be eaten with 7-10 days after opening. Anyone know, does it smell or look bad when it’s gone off?