FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cat allergy  (Read 1397 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Cat allergy
« on: December 17, 2020, 09:41:51 PM »
DS has a question.

He is allergic to cats. The two he has been living with, he developed an immunity to the allergy. (Wrong term?) Now a 3rd cat has moved in. This specific cat has always bothered him more than most.

His question is: if he takes antihistamine will that make it take longer to develop the immunity?

He is planning to call doctor to talk about immunization shots.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Cat allergy
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 09:53:01 PM »
In my non-scientific opinion, no it won’t affect the possibility developing a tolerance because I think the antihistamine treats the symptoms rather than blocking the immune system from reacting. Just like we were always told Benadryl wasn’t a treatment for anaphylaxis because it could mask the symptoms and not actually stop the reaction.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 09:06:52 AM »
Thanks rebekahc.

He says for now, cat will be banned from his room, and he will take benedryl when needed. He’s going to call the doctor, but doubtful he will set up getting shots right now. Doctors office is a bus ride away, and at first you have to get them often. Plus probably need to get allergy tests done.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 11:30:01 AM »
There’s a Purina food the reduces the most common protein that people are allergic to. I don’t know if it’s available in stores or if you have to order it through the vet.

https://www.purina.com/pro-plan/cats/liveclear-cat-allergen-reducing-food

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 05:29:37 PM »
I will send that along, thanks.