FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Sunflower Oil in PGPR in Chocolate, Oils,  (Read 1716 times)

Description: PGPR can be made from sunflower seeds/oil

Offline cwalco

Sunflower Oil in PGPR in Chocolate, Oils,
« on: January 21, 2021, 01:20:13 PM »
I am new and this is my first post.

I just learned that Hershey's uses PGPR, in their chocolate bars. The very reason I am violently ill today. I ate an entire bar yesterday. I was also not feeling that great yesterday–probably due to sunflower oil or my egg allergy being hidden in some kind of food source. My body/mind tells me that I'll feel better by eating sugary or bad snacks. My body craves them like crazy when I'm sick from food allergies, sometimes making things worse. I normally don't touch them at all.

Back to the PGPR... I read the Hershey's label today and discovered a new ingredient that I had not seen in Hershey's before - PGPR. So, I looked it up and didn't find a lot until I looked it up on the Hershey's site: https://www.thehersheycompany.com/en_us/whats-inside/ingredient-conversations.html

PGPR can be derived from sunflower oil!!!!!

This is from their site:

"Q.  What is PGPR?

A.  Polyglycerol polyricinoleate, more commonly known as PGPR, is an emulsifier that is made from castor beans, soybeans or sunflower seeds. It’s used in cooking oils and fats, spreads, low fat dressings, ice cream, and flour. In the confectionery industry, it is used to improve the consistency of chocolate. It improves the flow of chocolate to aid in moulding it into bars."

I'm very allergic to sunflower seeds and oil of any kind, along with its sister, safflower oil. I wanted to pass this along to anyone else with this allergy and hope they learn about this unstead of having to lose many work days from being sick like me.
Carrie

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Sunflower Oil in PGPR in Chocolate, Oils,
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 05:45:00 PM »
Welcome cwalco!

Thanks for that heads up. That’s an ingredient I’ve never heard of!  I know we have some Sunflower-allergic members who will appreciate that info.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Sunflower Oil in PGPR in Chocolate, Oils,
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »
Hi and welcome!  That is great info and very timely as my brother is connecting me with a family who are new to food allergies including seeds. 

My DD outgrew her sunflower allergy.  It was life changing to not have to avoid it anymore.  The only seed she is still allergic to and likely will be lifelong is sesame.