imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Sudden reaction to deodorant after long-term use?  (Read 1277 times)

Description: terrible eczema

Offline Ciel

Sudden reaction to deodorant after long-term use?
« on: January 28, 2021, 11:04:38 AM »
I have been using the same kind of deodorant for more than two years, and using this particular jar for at least two months. All of a sudden I have raging eczema under both arms that started out of nowhere about three weeks ago. I haven’t been using the deodorant but it’s still getting worse instead of better and the itching is making me crazy and keeping me awake.

I really want this to go away, and I want to be able to wear deodorant and not-smell-bad again. It’s just deodorant, not antiperspirant.

Can anyone relate? What did you do? Is it safe to put steroid creams in the armpits? It’s so hard to get an appointment with my doctor during lockdown-times.

I’ve tried to dry it out by dabbing with rubbing alcohol...doesn’t help. Moisturizer lotion isn’t helping. I feel like I just sweat it off. Help.

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Sudden reaction to deodorant after long-term use?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »
This happened to me last summer, and it turned out not to be the deodorant itself, but a reaction to my own perspiration.  I used an antifungal cornstarch powder under my arms for a week or so, and it cleared up.  I got the CVS brand - not sure if you have CVS in the Canadalands.

Anyhoo, the itching just about drove me mad.  The powder was the only thing that helped. 

Hope you get some quick relief!  :grouphug:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Ciel

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 12:03:16 PM »
We don’t have CVS but I will look for an anti fungal powder to try here. Can’t hurt to try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 05:15:25 PM »
This happens to me almost every season.  I know have 4 different fragrance free ones that I rotate through as soon as that itch starts.  I use Goldbond medicated powder to help with the itch.  I put it on before the deodorant until I no longer itch. If you shave, watch your razor head too.

Nasty feeling.  Hope it clears very soon!

Offline Ciel

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 09:03:18 PM »
I had seen good improvement using a combination of hydrocortisone and clotrimazole creams that my pharmacist recommended. So yesterday I decided to try wearing deodorant again and today it’s massively flared up, red and itchy. The redness and inflammation was gone and the itching had stopped. I’m irritated that a single light application has almost set me back to square one. I’ll give it longer this time, and maybe it’s time to think about trying a different deodorant.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 07:30:36 AM »
How frustrating. One that I absolutely can’t use is Tom’s of Maine. I’m getting itchy just typing it!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 12:57:35 AM »
Ciel, I'd think about trying a new one. I have really, really mild eczema, and my two most common break out areas are my feet and my underarms.  It just looks weird to be scratching your underarms all the time.

I don't know that you are similar to me, but the weirdest stuff ended up working.  I can use vanicream deodorant and the salt crystal ones, but I don't find them to be effective to me.  The one thing that works without reaction for me is Dove Advanced Care cucumber and green tea.  Do other dove varieties work? No.  Do other brands' cucumber varieties work? Also no.

I hope that you can find your perfect product soon.  Underarm eczema massively sucks.