FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Allerject 2021  (Read 2599 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Allerject 2021
« on: May 31, 2021, 10:57:22 AM »
Is Allerject available in Canada currently?

Mine is about to expire and pharmacist cannot order for me. I’m stuck with epi-pen.  :-/

Offline spacecanada

Re: Allerject 2021
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »
Yes. I picked up two this morning. Expiry August 2022.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 02:15:54 PM »
Ok, thanks.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 02:40:35 PM »
Why can’t anything ever be easy.

I called around and found a pharmacy that could order me one. Called back original pharmacy and gave them the info to transfer. This took much longer than it should have...started by getting caught in a phone loop, and when I finally got a person it just went down hill.

I think it went through successfully. But then I realized, I did order an epipen from first pharmacy, so I only want one Allerject....so call new pharmacy back and get a different woman, who I of course proceed to confuse completely.

Get off the phone....and wonder....they do not have my insurance info.....will it be to late when I get there?

Anyway....should have epipen and Allerject by end of week.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 04:11:59 PM »
If they don't have your insurance, they can re-submit the prescription with the insurance when you pick it up. I've done this a few times when prescriptions were switched to a different pharmacy, or they forgot to run it. It should not be an issue. They've even done it a day or two later, even, after I got home and realised.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 06:17:28 PM »
At worst, I pay full price and submit receipt and get it refunded.

Last time I paid 50%. Not sure whether it will be covered at 50 or 90% this time. If needed, I’m willing to pay for the convenience.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 09:22:58 PM »
Mine were covered at 100% by the government. (Long story short, my husband's suuuuuper duuuuuuper ridiculously expensive medications mean we qualify for government support with our prescriptions. Hurray for BC PharmaCare.) I hope you get some coverage, too.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 06:56:16 AM »
Our policy has 2 tiers. If a Rx is covered by provincial plans in province employee lives in, we get 90% coverage. If it is not covered by government plans, we get 50%. Last time I got an Allerject government had not yet approved for coverage here, so I had to pay 50%.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 09:10:14 AM »
Good and bad.

Good. The pharmacy that forwarded the Rx must have also forwarded my insurance info because it was already applied.

Bad. Still only covered at 50%. I’m going to have to check gov’t site.

Update. It IS covered by the provincial plan. So, either dh’s insurance screwed up, or they have added some new random “we’re not going to pay for that” nonsense rule we can never figure out.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 09:17:25 AM by SilverLining »

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 11:03:33 AM »
At least they are cheaper than EpiPens... but still. I hope you can get the insurance coverage. I know my first prescription wasn’t covered by insurance at first because they hadn’t yet reactivated the DIN from when it was discontinued. I hope that’s a similar case for you.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 11:38:46 AM »
I picked up one epi-pen and one Allerject. Difference in price was 50 cents.

I think because they can be purchased without a Rx, they do not automatically get covered. Last time I bought one, they were not covered by Ontario. I checked and they are now. So, dh sent an email to HR. We probably won’t get the money back for this one, but hopefully they will add it to list for coverage.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 03:16:16 PM »
I picked up one epi-pen and one Allerject. Difference in price was 50 cents.

I think because they can be purchased without a Rx, they do not automatically get covered. Last time I bought one, they were not covered by Ontario. I checked and they are now. So, dh sent an email to HR. We probably won’t get the money back for this one, but hopefully they will add it to list for coverage.
Here, the difference is $4-5. Not significant.
I'm glad you'll have insurance coverage. Hurray!

Offline Ciel

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 02:08:21 PM »
I went to order a new EpiPen on Wednesday. They’re on backorder. Suggest I ask for Allerject instead.

I need to get a prescription from my doctor for Allerject, so I do that the next day. I also get refills for EpiPen to keep on file while I’m there. Ditto for Ventolin and Symbicort (she charges for renewals via fax). I went in for a B12 shot and this was my first in person visit in over a year so I was strategic about it.

I returned to the pharmacy yesterday and asked to fill my script for Allerject. They are now also on backorder.

Okay. Now what do I do? I’m okay with what I have, but still. One EpiPen expired in May and the other has an expiry date of July. I also have about 8 older ones hanging around that I can look through for backups. I’m almost certain they are all still clear.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 02:44:34 PM »
Emerade is now available in Canada, too. Your pharmacy can probably call your doctor to revise a prescription so you don’t have to go back.

Offline Ciel

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 07:19:40 PM »
Wow, never even heard of that one before. Thanks!