login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Confused...  (Read 2490 times)

Description:

Offline MWhitman401

Confused...
« on: October 15, 2021, 12:06:01 PM »
Hi all, I developed an egg allergy when I was about 30 (confirmed with blood work and skin prick) and it has been about 5 years and I recently got retested... I was told the IgE bloodwork was negative and I was all set to reintroduce egg to my diet. I mean... is that it? I can just go fry up some eggs and go to town? I called their office a week or so after I got the results and told them I was scared to reintroduce it... the nurse said I should be fine just eat a little bit if I was worried. I feel like I should be taking this a bit more seriously! Any thoughts?

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Confused...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »
Did they suggest starting with baked egg, like in a cake? 

Hopefully someone with an egg allergy will chime in here.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 07:10:23 PM »
I agree with Going Nuts, I’d start with baked eggs and something that’s baked a long time like cake and then if that’s okay something cooked not as long like cookies, etc. In general positive allergy test results are about 50% accurate, but negative test results are about 90% accurate, so I can understand why your doctor’s office advised you the way they did.  What reaction have you had to eggs?  That would influence my answer - and your doctor’s office should have considered your reaction history in their advice to you as well. 

I am allergic to eggs, but only raw or lightly cooked eggs bother me. Baked goods are typically fine except sometimes under baked cookies or something very egg-heavy such as pound cake will make my throat itch. I also can’t do things that are all egg white - like angel food cake. I don’t eat eggs or egg dishes like breakfast casseroles or quiche, etc.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline MWhitman401

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 12:17:10 PM »
I passed a baked egg challenge! I made my husband sit in the ER parking lot with me while I ate a muffin  :happydance: I think the anxiety is worse than anything!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 09:31:52 PM »
That’s great - congrats! 🎉
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.