FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: new potential tree nut allergy in sibling- need restaurant advice  (Read 830 times)

Description:

alliedhealth

So, we have long history ds with peanut allergy, now college age, managed well. Recent testing of dd with NKA revealed today positive IgE to hazelnut which correlates with potential positive skin test. Headed out of town and needing suggestions for where to start for tree nut safe chain restaurants as peanut is in the clear for her- any ideas until we can get back with the allergist? Much appreciation, we have long history of dealing with FA with ds for peanut and avoiding all nuts. Need advice of ideas to start with for this new allergy until we can get further testing.  southern US. Thanks

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: new potential tree nut allergy in sibling- need restaurant advice
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 09:01:42 PM »
I’m guessing your DD had a reaction that prompted her testing.  :grouphug: I hope she’s doing okay.

As far as avoiding hazelnuts, I find it much easier than peanuts. The main places I see them are breakfast and dessert menus. For quick avoiding before you can do much research, I’d suggest avoiding breakfast places and all day places with pancakes, crepes and waffles on the menu in case they use the same griddle. And avoid desserts where they have nutty desserts on the menu. I haven’t found contamination with hazelnuts to be as much an issue as with peanuts, but I’m also avoiding all tree nuts, so that probably simplifies things for me.

Good luck!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.