FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Refusing to wear Spi belt  (Read 2397 times)

Description: Didn’t anticipate this

Offline MandCmama

Refusing to wear Spi belt
« on: August 01, 2022, 05:37:56 PM »
My boys have carried either an epi pen or 2 auviQ in a spi belt since preschool. We have them hanging on a switch right under their light switches, so they don’t forget. In all the years we’ve done this, I can count on one hand the number of times a belt was forgotten. Goal achieved! Or so I thought…

My eldest will be a sophomore this year. He just declared at dinner tonight he doesn’t want to wear a ski belt anymore. He hates that you can see it through his clothes, smart asses make fun of it, etc. I get it. I do. I know if I push too hard he’ll just take it off at school and leave it in his locker. His plan is to put it in a pencil case and carry it. I KNOW it will get left behind. I asked about when he’s not in school and he said “ My pocket”. Again. I know my child. It will get lost.

I know I can’t be the only one who is dealing with teen angst. Please share what works for you!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Refusing to wear Spi belt
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 07:45:53 AM »
When DS was younger he always wore cargo pants and shorts to hold them.  In HS, they do not use lockers (you can have one if you want one) so it's always in his backpack at school and then we have a set of epi's on his swim backpack.  He really only wears basketball type shorts so it is always in his pocket.

We use this for Auvi Qs
https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Shot-Epinephrine-Auto-Injector-Case/dp/B07FDFL725/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=auvi+q+carrying+case&qid=1659444085&sr=8-17

But yes, I get it...we went out of town for the weekend and my 18 yo old son left his wallet at home.  Remembered the auvis but did not bring the wallet.  I was not a happy camper.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 06:52:31 PM »
In our high school they are not allowed to carry purses or backpacks through the day. He despises cargo pants and shorts. He lives in sweatpants and basketball shorts, but I don’t feel like he’d notice if they fell out of those pockets. The bag he opted to carry his AuviQ s and inhaler arrived today. We compromised and I said he could carry them at school if he wore the belt everywhere else.
BUT….

Then I caught him in a lie. We were on our way out the door and I asked if he had his epi belt on. He said he did. I asked again bc he was wearing a slim fitted shirt and I couldn’t see it. Again he said he did. We got to our destination and I found he’d lied. No belt. He lied rather than hear me say it should always be on (he’d just come in from work). I also did have any with me bc my youngest jumped in a creek with his the other day. We’re waiting on his new ones, so he has the ones from my purse.

Now, of course, I’m catastrophizing  and spiraling about how this is going to lead to him getting into cars with drunk drivers rather than call me. You know. Really chill mom thoughts.

I’m really at a loss now.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 08:32:10 PM »
Sounds like typical adolescent momming to me. Sooooo glad that’s behind me.

Sorry, hope it didn’t sound like I was gloating.  :hiding:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 10:20:22 PM »
Definitely sounds like gloating, but if you reached the other side, you deserve it! ;)
Pennsylvania, USA