FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 3 reactions in a month- ugh  (Read 995 times)

Description:

Hannah

3 reactions in a month- ugh
« on: January 25, 2023, 09:57:13 PM »
I have a  severe shellfish allergy-have since I was 27. Went 12 years with no issues and no reactions etc. Just in this past month I have had 3 reactions send me to the ER with some being unknown triggers.  Unfortunately one occurred in front of my third grade class- however they were perfect (pressed emergency button, ran to get the nurse, followed the plan and stayed calm).
1. Cross contamination with halibut which was thought to be safe based on where it came from (obviously, it was not).
2. Mystery reaction to a fruit parfait- this happened at school. I was sent by Ambulance where the ER doctor told me I never had a reaction and that I was wasting a bed in the ER.
3. Reaction to an eggroll that I ate perfectly the night before at dinner and multiple times before.

The next testing appointment available is in 3 weeks - until then it's rice, chicken and mixed veggies I guess.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: 3 reactions in a month- ugh
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 12:45:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about your reactions.  I'm not well versed in shellfish allergies, but a plan to keep foods simple for a little bit is good.  Do you carry an epi pen?

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 12:50:04 PM »
I’m at work so need to be quick - offhand I wondered if there was gelatin in the parfait.  Gelatin can come from fish sources - maybe cross-contaminated?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 04:14:52 PM »
Two things came to mind…

1) Have you called and checked that the egg rolls are not cross contaminated? “May contain” also means “may not contain”. It can be safe almost all the time, until the time it’s not.

2) In the past when I have a bad reaction, I seem to be more prone to have more reactions follow it. Anyone remember the discussion about our cup being half full?

I’m glad you are getting retested, and I agree a limited diet until then is a good idea.