FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ireland and England  (Read 745 times)

Description:

Offline DoubleAs

Ireland and England
« on: May 30, 2023, 09:15:34 AM »
We are traveling to Europe for the first time with my son who is severely allergic to tree nuts and egg. I’m excited, but also terrified. He is already in college, but we tend to not eat anywhere that uses tree nuts unless we know their allergy awareness is high. I’m looking for recommendations about restaurants as well as safe brands if we need to cook. We have an Airbnb and can cook as needed. We will mostly be in Dublin and London. Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Ireland and England
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 06:04:01 PM »
I’ve been to London twice since mid-December (with excursions to Edinburgh and Paris).  London restaurants are very allergy aware and thorough - they even ask when they seat you if there are any allergies. Since I was only concerned about peanuts and tree nuts (which were pretty easy to avoid) I wasn’t paying much attention to egg.  We did avoid all Indian restaurants since so many of the UK allergy deaths I see are from curries.

If you’d like a list of restaurants where we ate I can list them, but my guess would be egg may be a problem at most of them.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 07:13:13 PM »
We were in Ireland in 2016 and our son wasn’t with us, so I wasn’t asking questions, etc.  In general I found allergy awareness to be excellent in Ireland.   I’m not sure about the allergy situation, but we had a superb meal here:

https://www.boxtyhouse.ie/

Enjoy your trip!  Ireland is my favorite place to visit.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline DoubleAs

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 09:12:44 PM »
Rebekahc — I would love if you could share restaurants that felt safe given your nut allergies. I’ll explore the egg, but cross contamination from egg is much less of a concern for him than cross contamination from nuts. Thank you!

Goingnuts — thanks for your reply!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 03:29:15 PM »
Honestly, we felt nut-safe just about everywhere we went because nuts are not as popular and they are much more cautious because the restaurant can beheld criminally liable.

DF Tacos was really good (and that’s coming from Texans!)
The Garrick Arms Pub
The Punch and Judy Pub (we didn’t like this one as well as the Garrick Arms, but they are the same corporate brand)
Hard Rock Cafe, the original - food is okay, but you really should go visit the vault below the gift shop.
Honest Burger - really good fries with rosemary and lemon zest
Bad Boy Pizza in Seven Dials Market
Milk Train ice cream (soft serve was safe in both December and April, some of the toppings were may contain - I wasn’t concerned about possible contamination from a may contain, but YMMV)
Ave Mario
Bella Italia
Mother Mash

Those are the ones that stick out off the top of my head. I’ll add more if I think of any others, but there were a few meals where we just grabbed a quick Subway or Wendy’s or stopped at the grocery and ate at DD’s flat.

TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.