login
Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Turkey/Pork Meatball Soup  (Read 853 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Turkey/Pork Meatball Soup
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
Originally posted by MaryM

Here is the recipe for the turkey/pork meatball soup I made the other day:

Meatballs:

1 cup of fresh breadcrumbs - I made 2 slices of toast and crumbled them
1/3 cup plain soy milk
1 cup minced onion
1 - 1.5 pounds ground turkey/pork combo. I did equal parts
1 egg replacer
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled & minced
salt & pepper
olive oil

Combine breade crumbs & soy milk and let soak for 10 minutes
heat 2 tbsp of olive oil and cook onions for 3-5 minutes, until softened but not brown, let cool

In a large bowl combine ground meats, soaked bread crumbs, cooked onion, egg replacer, garlic, salt & pepper and mix. (I also added some parsely flakes), Shape into meatballs

Heat more olive oil and brown meatballs.

Soup:
2 small to medium onions, quartered
2 stalks of celery (I leave them large and pull them out at the end)
carrots
chicken broth
salt & pepper

Combine ingredients, add meatballs and simmer. I took the meatballs out when they were done and simmered the broth and veggies longer. Not really sure how long.

Like I said yesterday, I just sort of made this up as I went. Its basically chicken soup with meatballs. I found the meatballs to be a tad bland - I don't think I added enough salt. Next time I may add some vegan paremesan type cheese to the meatballs. I think this soup would be great with some fresh spinach added, but my kids would not eat it.

I cooked orzo and added it to each bowl of soup.

The kids seemed to like it

« Last Edited by MaryM Oct 7th, 2010 at 10:27 am »
When I was growing up we didn’t call it “Political Correctness”.  We called it things like “manners”, “respect” and “the Golden Rule”. ~~~ Peter