FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ham bone  (Read 3432 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Ham bone
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:25:53 PM »
We had a big ham for dinner.  There is a bone (with chunks of meat) that would be good for a soup.

Can it be frozen?

For some reason, Jim and I both recall hearing ham cannot be frozen.

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Ham bone
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:29:36 PM »
I can't see why not. 

Drooling just thinking about making some Yankee Bean soup with that bad boy!  ;)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
 i freeze them for later use.
USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:07:51 PM »
I freeze ham, ham bones, and ham scraps all the time.  Use the chopped ham later in casseroles, and use the scraps and bone for making ham and bean soup.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 06:39:58 AM »
I did stick it in the freezer that night.  Figured if it was unsafe I could throw it away.

I'll use it within a few weeks.  I've never made a bean soup, but Jim thought it looked good when I googled a recipe.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
I just got a ham yesterday myself.  Could not resist the sales and we have such a busy week.  leftovers will work nicely for dh's lunches and quick dinners. 

I froze the scraps and bone as well.  have done so before.  It thaws just fine for use in soup.  I plan to use a bean and barley mix I grabbed at Tarder Joes(17 bean and barley).  Just a bag of all kinds of beans, dried peas, lentils, etc... and some barley.   Since dd will not eat it, I do not know about the allergen safety.  But it looks like a yummy mix.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »
I make mine with northern beans (two 1lb bags - soaked overnight and then rinsed)...celery, onion and carrots - YUMMY! Serve w/hot cornbread  ;D

You can use water or chicken or veggie broth.
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:25:41 PM »
I also will sometimes add some sort of greens to my bean soups(anything to reduce the glycemic index).  Cabbage, spinach, escarole.  And sometimes sausage rather than ham.  Love a good pea soup too.

Always starts with a mirepoix, and several cloves of garlic!
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »
lol had to look up mirepoix,  I had no clue what that is.  Sounds a lot fancier than it is lol

My mom used to make brown beans (ham bone inclued)  and cornbread.  OMGosh heaven!  I cannot eat beans anymore.  They completely wreck my stomach. 
My ds would live on them if he could.  My father was a bean maniac.  My grandma made him brown beans every saturday.  She cooked them in a pressure cooker with a ham bone.  We used to go to her house often on sat morning and that familiar whistle of the pressure cooker and beans cooking is how I remember her house.  lol

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Ciel

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 05:58:10 PM »
My mum makes pea soup (or soupe aux pois, as my grandmother calls it). She has been having trouble finding dried yellow peas and just today told me she was going to stick the ham bone in the freezer until she got some if she didn't come up with any soon.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 08:07:01 AM »
I never thought to use it for baked beans.  I always use pork hocs.

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 12:31:02 AM »
Last pot of lentil soup i made was the one that sent oldest into anaphylaxis. 12+ years ago.
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"