login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: SLIT study - restarted 06-02-10 (non-placebo): Arkansas Childrens Hospital  (Read 5200 times)

Description:

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
SLIT study - restarted 06-02-10 (non-placebo): Arkansas Childrens Hospital

This is mommabridget's thread about her DS' experiences participating in a clinical trial.

Offline mommabridget

I have not updated in a very  :misspeak: long time!  DS is still faithfully taking his SLIT drops daily.  He will have another double blind food challenge next month - October 13 and 14.  We do not expect a "pass", just HOPEFULLY increased tolerance.  He has been on the highest drop dosage for several months and still gets mouth tingling every day.  I will post all the food challenge details.

Have a blessed day!
DS(22) Allergic to peanuts, cashews & soy.
DD(29) Allergic to Bactrim, & iodine. 
DD(31)NKA
DGS (born June 2011) NKA
DGS (born April 2014) NKA
Louisiana, USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
I was going to ask once the dust settled!

I was wondering when I pulled the thread over.

I hope that the challenge goes well.  That tingling is pretty freaky after so long at the same dose, though, isn't it?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline mommabridget

Freaky?  YES!  He says he gets "impending doom" feeling with every dosing :/

10:35 am -- the first food challenge has begun.  Skin testing shows wheals, but the largest one is only equal in size to the histamine control.  It use to be double the size.

I am sitting on pins and needles and prayers are appreciated.
Have a blessed day!
DD(31)NKA
DGS (born June 2011) NKA
Louisiana, USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
I'm following along with you, MommaB!!   :heart:

Western U.S.

Offline mommabridget

Bad day, got to dose 5 and complained of a lump in the throat. Gave epinephrine. Enough protein to feel really bad, but has not vomited.  So riding wave after wave of nausea, stomache cramps, chest tightening, itchiness, hives and feeling like crap. 

Also given zyrtec, benedryl and albuterol.  Hooked up to BP machine and pulse ox -- both are good and he just fell asleep. 

He's never had a reaction that has lasted soooooO loooong.  He usually throws up.  He wants to but will not force it.

The hives come and go and come and go...as does the other things we can't see -- chest tightening, stomach cramps and itching.

This sucks -- this damn allergy. 
Have a blessed day!
DD(31)NKA
DGS (born June 2011) NKA
Louisiana, USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
Oh, how disappointing.

:grouphug:  {{hugs}} to him-- and to YOU-- for going through this. :heart:

Western U.S.

Offline Mookie86

How disappointing and scary  :-[

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Oh wow. I'm sorry.  How scary and just upsetting. Yeah, this allergy sucks.  :heart:

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

So, so sorry to hear that. As hard as it is when I hive and vomit it's always harder for me to see my kids go through it.

Offline mommabridget

Well, it's official -he dropped out of he study.  He dreaded taking those drops everyday and stressed over it.   In addition he has dropped out of school and pretty much life  :-/  Growing up is tough enough
.. it's been a really tough year for him  :-[
Have a blessed day!
DD(31)NKA
DGS (born June 2011) NKA
Louisiana, USA

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
MB, I'm so sorry. That must be so disheartening. I think our kids are so courageous for even trying these studies though!

My mother keeps reassuring me that there are many paths through life and that I should not be focused on the college-right-after-HS thing. I'll pass her advice on to you too. I think our kids are going to need a little extra time to figure all this stuff out.  :grouphug:
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Oh mommab I am so sorry.  (((hugs)))  Sorry that he's had such a tough year mostly.  I'll be thinking about y'all.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
 :grouphug: It's not easy. 

Western U.S.

Offline mommabridget

Bumping this topic.  Yes, DS did drop from the SLIT study.  He stayed in the research as a "control".  Now they have asked him if he wants to participate in a new study -- the patch.   He has agreed (totally his decision).  It is a double blind placebo controlled study. 

ACRH is over 4 hours away and he may end up with the placebo, again!!  But that is not the worst part -- the food challenges are just awful.   All in the name of science.  He is ok with doing the food challenges (beginning and end of study -- usually 9-10 months interval).  He did HATE doing those drops daily.  Putting on a patch should be easier.

I will start a new thread and diary with the new study.   Double blind food challenges scheduled for October 30 & 31st.   What a roller coaster!!!
Have a blessed day!
DD(31)NKA
DGS (born June 2011) NKA
Louisiana, USA