FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: SLIT study - restarted 06-02-10 (non-placebo): Arkansas Childrens Hospital  (Read 5147 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
MB what did he hate about doing the drops?  My DS is doing SLIT (lower concentration than what is in the studies). Being home to take the drops has proven the greatest challenge for him so far. And he has had no IOFC. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline mommabridget

When he got to the maximum dose, he would get a "dread" feeling before doing the drops.  He had to force himself to take the drops and hated the feeling it gave him for several minutes after -- every day.  The drops also caused mouth sores that would get huge and painful.  The drops irritated any sores and they took weeks to heal. 

I'm not sure the dosage amount but it was enough for him to taste it, hate it and caused extreme anxiety.  It was once a day-- I think the OIT amount done 3x a day is less.  Hope it works for your DS.  After over a year of drops, my DS made the decision that enough was enough and dropped from the study. 
Have a blessed day!
DS(22) Allergic to peanuts, cashews & soy.
DD(29) Allergic to Bactrim, & iodine. 
DD(31)NKA
DGS (born June 2011) NKA
DGS (born April 2014) NKA
Louisiana, USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Yeah--it sounds like it was very tough. Obviously he made the right choice.

Dr Mary goes at a much slower pace than the studies. This will take another three years at least. DS takes his drops three times a day. And his also include celery, cat, dog, rabbit and environmentals.

It will be interesting to see if they start bothering him, too

I will be following your DS' experience!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts