FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Donut puffs!  (Read 1881 times)

Description: (has milk, eggs, wheat)

Offline nameless

Donut puffs!
« on: December 26, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »
So I really miss donuts. I found this recipe a while ago and tried it with friends for a brunch on Saturday. YUMMERS!  Crispy outside, puffy light inside!

Detailed instructions, b/c I'm not sure how the heck I got them to turn out so light and airy (not heavy/doughy).

From here: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/quickbreads/italian-donuts/

15 ounce container ricotta cheese (I used whole milk ricotta)
4 eggs (Large)
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

powdered sugar
chocolate ganache
jelly
cinnamon/sugar

Canola oil for frying
Large pot for frying, need ~4" depth of oil, I used my enameled cast iron dutch oven
Oil/Candy thermometer if you aren't using an electric fry daddy
wire mesh big spoon/spatula thing to get them out of the oil

In a large bowl beat ricotta cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and a little fluffy, but not completely whipped. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined, scrape bowl, beat again.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt in a bowl with a whisk so everything is incorporated.  Add gradually to mixer bowl, which is on a low slow stir.  Once it's all mostly incorporated, finish by hand, scrape bowl, etc.

Cover bowl and let sit out at room temp for 30-45 minutes. It should puff up a little, the batter will be airy from the baking powder starting to work. My room temp was 65-68F.

Heat oil to 365-370F. I used a thermometer. My first batch was overcooked b/c the oil got to 385F and I plopped a few in to get the oil temp down. Then, I just kept the oil around 360-370F - it would cool and heat up, I was on an electric stovetop.

Using a 1 TB cookie scoop (that's 3 tsp) plop dough into the hot oil, don't cook too many at once. I had 5 in at a time. They'll flip over themselves and finish cooking, 1-2m per donut puff. Cook til golden brown. Make a test  batch so you can see how brown they get when done. I had a few not cooked in the middle and adjusted.

Remove from oil and onto paper towels to drain. Cool 15 minutes and then toss in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar if wanted. Or let them cool further and dip into chocolate ganache or push jelly in the middle with a pastry bag/tip.

They DO get soggy after sitting out for half a day. Not sure why, but dang it they still tasted just fine after dinner. We were eating them warm --- the outside was SO crispy!  I drizzled honey on a few and they were divine!  It's a real nice base recipe. I want to try variations next time: lemon zest and fill with raspberry jelly, add nutmeg/cinnamon to the batter, dice up teeny tiny apple bits and add to the batter.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Donut puffs!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 04:05:01 PM »
Of course you're posting this just as I'm trying to clean up my act.  :tongue:  ;D  :smooch:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US