FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Severe Food Allergies Get New Awareneess  (Read 2731 times)

Description: WSJ Online

Offline GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Severe Food Allergies Get New Awareneess
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:18:05 AM »
The first thing I saw was the photo caption:

John Rudnicki, 9, helps make cookies with applesauce instead of eggs for his dairy allergy at home in Wilmette, Ill. For a school party, other parents asked his mom to plan snacks he can eat.

:crazy:

More press is nice, but...
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline maeve

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
The first thing I saw was the photo caption:

John Rudnicki, 9, helps make cookies with applesauce instead of eggs for his dairy allergy at home in Wilmette, Ill. For a school party, other parents asked his mom to plan snacks he can eat.

:crazy:

More press is nice, but...

Ugh.  I hate that.  I stumbled across that confusion again this weekend when I asked to double check if the Jolly Rancher flavor sorbet was egg free and the clerk replied "It's dairy free."  Thankfully, DD didn't want that flavor.  I really feel like retorting the next time I encounter this with the following:  "Though eggs are found in the dairy case at the supermarket, they are not dairy.  Dairy comes from mammals with udders that you milk; eggs come from birds.  You cannot milk birds."
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:20:30 PM »
:rofl: 

I triple dog-dare you. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Susan

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:07:57 AM »
Ugh.  I hate that.  I stumbled across that confusion again this weekend when I asked to double check if the Jolly Rancher flavor sorbet was egg free and the clerk replied "It's dairy free."  Thankfully, DD didn't want that flavor.  I really feel like retorting the next time I encounter this with the following:  "Though eggs are found in the dairy case at the supermarket, they are not dairy.  Dairy comes from mammals with udders that you milk; eggs come from birds.  You cannot milk birds."
:tongue: :insane: :yes: :smooch: :happydance:
I am so gonna use this!!!
 ;D

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
Is it horrible that I suddenly have this vision of the dinner scene in Meet the Parents where Ben Stiller says "Oh, yeah-- you can milk anything with nipples"?

:misspeak:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.