FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Reactions & Stories

Reactions as part of storylines: Fiction books, movies, TV etc

<< < (2/5) > >>

SilverLining:
Watching The Simpson's. Lisa is volunteering at a vet's, then later a goat is having an anaphylactic reaction from eating shrimp. She asks one of the other kids (Milhouse?) for his epi-pen and uses it on the goat.

Unlike many shows....she used it properly. It was shaped like the newest epi-pen, she pulled off the cap and injected the other end into what could be a cartoon goat's thigh.

Macabre:
Go Lisa!

spacecanada:
We've seen two recently:

Kindergarten Cop 2 - One of the kids in the class has a peanut allergy and the teacher starts eating a peanut butter sandwich.  No reaction, but the class all screams at the teacher and the school nurse comes in to remove the child with allergies for monitoring. 

The Game Plan - The main football plater has an allergy to cinnamon and his new-found daughter gives him cookies with cinnamon (not knowing of the allergy) and the main character starts talking funny as a result.  It may have been meant as funny but not of the ha-ha sort.  The daughter also turns out to have a nut allergy, mentioned early on, and ends up having reaction in a restaurant near the end of the movie.  Someone notices and they rush her off to hospital - by running there.  Not exactly ideal, but a more accurate representation of allergies than in most movies I've seen.  (No EpiPens mentioned.)

SilverLining:
On Big Bang Theory they sometimes mention Howard being allergic to peanuts. Previously he intentionally ate something with peanut in it to cause an allergic reaction. I think it was to keep Sheldon(?) with him at the hospital. Would have been unbelievably out of character, but Penny bribed him to keep Sheldon out, and she would set him up with her "easy" friend.

This week (might have been a repeat...we've missed a lot) he ended up in the ER. There's a lot of commotion going on, and from the other room Howard asks if what he's eating has peanuts.

His reaction is similar to his previous one, but insinuates it got more serious. I thought it was actually handled well.

spacecanada:
The new Peter Rabbit movie is becoming a very hot topic in allergy groups, and not because it is good. Apparently the film includes a scene of one character deliberately trying to expose another character to their allergen, a reaction, and the character requiring epinephrine. I haven't seen the film or read a whole lot about the scene in detail, but this is one of many links circulating about it:

http://twincitiesgeek.com/2018/02/peter-rabbit-is-a-rotten-adaptation-of-a-revered-book/

Some people are more accepting or outraged about it than others, kids included. Just a heads up to do some research of your own before bringing kids to see this film.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version