FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Recipes & Cooking

Quinoa Recipes

(1/21) > >>

SilverLining:

Posted: May 31st, 2010 at 08:53 am      
Quinoa Confetti Salad

1 cup quinoa
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups corn - fresh, frozen, or cannned
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes - halved
1- 15 oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
juice of 1 lime (at least 2 T)
1/2 tsp salt

In a fine strainer, rinse the quinoa and drain well. Toast the quinoa in
a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often until the quinoa releases
a nutty fragrance and begins to pop and crackle, about 5 minutes. Remove
from heat.

Bring water to a boil. Add the grain, cumin and chili powder. Lower the
heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until water is mostly
absorbed. Add corn and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat
and let stand until cooled.

Om a large bowl, combine the grain and remaining ingredients. Taste for
seasoning. Serve warm or cold.
DS (7 yrs) TN, sesame & egg (mild?)
DD (9 yrs) cat

Southern IL, USA
hezzier

Posted: May 31st, 2010 at 08:56 am        
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10896

Those with dairy allergies will have to remove or substitute the cheese.
DS (7 yrs) TN, sesame & egg (mild?)
DD (9 yrs) cat

Southern IL, USA
CMdeux
Moderator1

Posted: May 31st, 2010 at 12:24 pm        
Oh, we make stuffed peppers with Quinoa, too!

Cook 1 c quinoa in 2 c chicken (or veggie) low-sodium stock with ~1 tsp cider or Balsamic vinegar-- season as desired with herbs, etc. Just like rice-- only quinoa cooks in only 15 min or so. For this, I like to keep it just a BIT underdone.

Brown ~ 1/4 lb ground meat (pork and poultry seem to work especially well for this) and 1/c c mixed MINCED veggies... zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, etc etc-- food processor is great for this-- and blend with quinoa. Can add finely chopped kalamata olives for taste punch, if desired.

Stuff sweet bell peppers with mixture and top either with cheese (Feta and/or low-fat Mozarella) or with bread/cracker crumbs.

Bake in an uncovered baking dish in a 370F oven until peppers are cooked through.

I also add quinoa to risotto to amp up the protein content (just add it during the second half of the cooking time).

Quinoa-Cranberry Pilaf:

1 c quinoa, 2 c stock, 1 tsp orange peel/zest, 1 tsp orange juice concentrate, 1 tbs craisins, ginger to taste (if desired) and ~1/4 c assorted finely minced veggies, 1 tsp olive oil. Cover and simmer until cooked through, about fifteen minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. (This is very pretty and goes well with pork and especially with poultry.)

Mushroom- Quinoa Risotto:

1/2 c brown rice, 2 tsp olive oil
~3 c stock
1/2 c quinoa
1 c fresh mushrooms (criminis) minced
season with garlic, salt, thyme (if desired)

-- saute dry rice in med-hot olive oil, then begin adding stock in small amounts as it is absorbed, stirring continuously (this is the basic "risotto" technique.. it relies on the rice cooking in liquid that is continuously boiling and STIRRED to encourage the release of starch)... continue for ~20 minutes.

add quinoa, stir, and continue cooking (adding liquid as necessary) for another ~10-15 min, or until rice is just 'chewy' (not completely 'mushy' like steamed rice, though)... stir in mushrooms and season to taste.

This is actually high enough in protein to serve as a vegetarian entree-- and it is creamy and very satisfying in terms of 'mouth feel.' Very reminiscent of mac and cheese in some ways. 

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." -Robert Louis Stevenson

nameless:
have a new recipe w/ quinoa that I love!

Whatever recipe you have for stuffed peppers --- USE QUINOA! I just did a stuffed poblano w/ red enchilada sauce, quinoa, diced roast chicken, corn, black beans, sauteed onion, cilantro, and some oaxaca cheese.

YUMMEH.

Adrienne

GoingNuts:
Sounds delish Adrienne.  I wish DH and DS liked quinoa.  I love how light, yet satisfying it is.  They hate the texture. 

*Sigh*

krasota:
My quick hot lunch is frequently a couple cups of quinoa (cooked with sautéed onions and garlic), butter (well, soy-free margarine now), curry powder, and peas and/or arugula and/or spinach. 

kouturekat:
Quinoa is awesome!  Keep posting recipes.  I'm always loving new quinoa recipes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version