login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What did you put in your child's lunch today?: Inquiring minds want to know  (Read 21215 times)

Description: LINK

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Mini bell peppers stuffed with spinach/artichoke cream cheese.
Strawberries
Blue diamond almond thins
Raisins
Bottle of water

And because he leaves for school at 6:30 and is finished at 5:00 I also stick in a cheese/romaine sandwich.  Had we had Nutella I just would have used that and made a half/fold over sandwich instead.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline TabiCat

Smoke Turkey, cheese
Wheat/veggie crackers
Carrot sticks , grape tomatoes, broccoli 
Apple slices
juice box

Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
DS is on a salad kick.  Today:

Salad with mixed greens, grated cheese, tomato slices, sugar snap peas, shredded carrots, cut up tiny bell pepper, and 1/2 tbs dressing

One slice of DH's bread

Berries (raspberries & blackberries)

Tiny Greek Yogurt for protein

Clementine for after school snack.  He has an audition today.

Out of bottled water, so I sent him with money for a water. And also for a coffee at some point in the day.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
DD uses reusable lunch containers.  I use a variety-- my favorites are a bento box (sorry, can't find a link for it-- got it at Uwajimaya, it's a double-layer click-and-lock), Sistema containers in various sizes(the baby food set is about right for lunchbox items and bento), and a Rubbermaid sandwich cube.  Obviously, the amounts are fairly generous since she is at work from before 8 until sometime near 5 each day-- and she's 14. 

This week:

Monday-- 5 chicken-vegetable potstickers, broccoli salad (see below), pickled beets (about 1/2 c) and a plum--sliced into wedges.

Tuesday-- melted cheese sandwich made with shredded pizza cheese, a Kontos pocketless pita, sliced into wedges; a 1tbs Bento container stuffed with Land-O-Frost turkey, 1/2 c of broccoli-carrot salad (this is carrot shreds and broccoli florets microwaved in Aji Mirin for about a minute or so), and a bag (~1c?) of sliced apples.  Oh- and a babybell cheese single.

Wednesday-- Kontos naan cut into flower shapes with a food cutter, a Sabra hummus single, broccoli salad, and a bag of apple slices.

Thursday-- 1 c leftover Spanish Rice, 1 c of "fruit salad" (1 jumbo plum, cut into wedges, and a kiwi, cut into slices and shaped with a cutter into "flowers."

Tomorrow-- haven't yet decided.    Might do Soba and fruit.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
Wasn't feeling too creative-- but DD seemed pleased by the offerings, anyway.

Flower-shaped naan slices (Kontos); two tiny bento cups, one with berry cream-cheese and the other with Land-O-Frost turkey (about four slices); 1/2 c of pickled beets, and an individual bag of apple slices.

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
Thermos of Maruchan instant Yakisoba, hummus single, and red bell pepper slices.

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
First day of school! 

--wrap (veggie cream cheese, spinach, carrots, yellow bell pepper, {greenish} pickled banana pepper
--honey dew chunks
--pluot
--rosemary and olive oil triscuits
--bottle of water
--2 fig newtons

The fig newtons and pluot are for an after school snack. He'll be at school until 5 or so.

The wrap before I rolled it:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Nothing.

DS is eating in the cafeteria today. They are making ravioli .... and Kung Pao Chicken! :misspeak:

twinturbo

Hopefully they're leaving the peanuts out, yeah?

We have to cupcake tithe on Day 1 therefore DS1's appetite for a nutritious lunch is shot. Hopefully they'll let DH slide some gum to nom-nom-nom on to unstick it all. I'm not packing a huge amount of cake just a couple of bites.

We worked really hard all summer to put some pounds on him I don't want another year of untouched lunches coming again.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:40:52 AM by twinturbo »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
With peanut sauce. And egg rolls.

I took a tour of the kitchen yesterday and met with the cafeteria manager for about an hour. I like her. And I feel fairly comfortable. But they were going to fey the egg rolls in the same fryer as the French fries (vegetarian fryer) and after talking about how it's common to use a peanut paste to seal them she said that maybe she'll bake them instead.

Ravioli is vegetarian (so is DS---has been for 8 years).

They will move the blue diamond almond packages that DS can eat away from the trail mix.

I probably should take my shower though--in case of reaction.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
For today's speech tournament. (I also added a slice of havarti to keep the olives in tact.

Offline Janelle205

I found out today that DH has been telling all of his coworkers that he is jealous of the lunches that I pack for dsd because his Mom did not pack him fun lunches when he was younger.  I have offered to pack him fun lunches for work, but he always wants sandwiches because they are easy to eat at his desk.  He did get a few mini chocolate donuts today as a treat.

I do pack pretty unusual things sometimes, but dsd also likes to eat a lot of things cold that I would never eat at that temperature.  She tells me that a lot of times the other kids are jealous of her unusual lunch food, and she just tells them that they could ask their Mom to make the same thing for them. 

Tomorrow's lunch:
Kabobs with cubed pork roast, cheese cubes, and pickles - I even have fun skewers with pinwheels on the end of them.
Banana
Blueberry Muffin
Small side salad
One mint-filled chocolate

Offline Janelle205

I'm not sure about finding these safely for nut allergies, but a new favorite in the lunch box here is roasted pumpkin seeds.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Gerbs are safe for PA and TNA.  we have them on hand regularly.  Good in homemade granola to kick up the protein. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Today--a LOT, because he'll be at this speech tournament a long time. There will be a lot of food for sale. I want him to have options so he's not tempted to buy.

Havarti and green leaf lettuce sandwich
Carrot chips
Triscuits
Grapes
Strawberries
String cheese
Belvita blueberry cookie
Angie's kettle corn popcorn --I found an individual bag!
Bottle of water