FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: How do people feel about Wendy's these days?  (Read 4702 times)

Description:

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
Re: How do people feel about Wendy's these days?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:55:37 PM »
Does anyone have any new info on Wendy's?  I trust what members were saying... for two years ago, but I also know a lot can change in fast food in 2 years.  I'd specifically like info on the Frosties... do the mix-ins still come in little packets? 
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:19:37 PM »
well no...no they don't. They have these new milkshake mixer machine things for the parfaits and the other new shakes. I haven't been inside a Wendy's to see HOW they are handled and made...that is what would make the decision for me.

Like...watching for human error...I've watched softserve and yogurt places push the spout down into the dish AFTER to put more in, after something (like nuts or PB) was already in the dish/cup.

One day last week I screamed at a Pinkberry employee in our student union. I can have the plain, so I get that and bring my own fruit. And their plain machine is always their plain machine --- the reason actually being food allergies and the student population. So --- the kid fills up a dish, tossed stuff in, and then the girl asked for more yogurt. There was squish...into the dish...with the spout. She had Reeses or something broken up pb cup on hers, and he gets the plain spout super close (squish) and then dispensed. I've been lucky thus far.

I was rather "outloud" about his procedure, the manager came over, and he said he'd make sure everyone was trained.  I just kinda was like, "Yeah, good luck with that. I will never enjoy a Pinkberry ever again" and walked out.

Anyway - my point...is I think you'll have to go in and watched how things are dispensed.  I'm guessing, a straight up Frosty will just be pulled into a cup and that's that. But you'll have to see.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 08:27:26 AM »
I was in Wendy's last night where they have the allergy chart posted loud and proud.  There was only two things marked for nuts - the pecans for a salad and the shortcake for the strawberry shortcake parfait.

FWIW - our local Wendy's have always gone above and beyond when it comes to food allergies.  If I special order anything, it's new gloves, new tray of burgers and the special item goes into it's own bag (I often order DS1 burgers sans bun).  We do the Frosties sans topping all of the time (pssst, if you buy the $1 keychain you get a free junior frosty everytime you order between now and the end of the year).

The charts are clear and easy to understand (hey dealing with a gluten and egg allergy, on top of nuts I love when ingredients are separated out as opposed to say reading a double stack contains gluten - well is that the bun or the burger itself, kwim).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:12:31 AM »
DD eats the hamburgers at Wendy's.  We now let her have the fries because cross-contamination with egg is not an issue since her baked egg challenge. However, if that is an issue for you, they do not have separate fryers and they fry egg-containing chicken sandwiches in them.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Elliana

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 08:39:06 PM »
We are PN/TN allergic and just ate at Wendy's yesterday.  The nuts for the salad come in a little packet that is opened by each customer.  The Frosties, both vanilla and chocolate, have been fine for us. 

Elle
PN/TN allergic
USA

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 07:48:46 AM »
In regards to the egg side of things - DS1 usually gets the chili with sour cream and cheese.  If he opts for a burger (sans bun because of gluten, I don't know about egg), then he gets the oranges or apples as a side.  I don't think they offer caramel dip, his preference is to always dip the apples in ketchup.  (Insert vomitous icon here).

Fries are only an option for us at Burger King (and rarely at mom and pop places) due to egg/gluten contamination.  I should say fries at most BK's because they don't all have dedicated fryers but the majority do.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:21:30 AM »
So frosty mix-ins are not still individually packaged there's bulk ingredient put into a specific mixing machine? I already have the allergen menu and will observe in person. Any recent observances to report so I can focus on contamination trouble spots?

Peanut & egg. TIA!

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 06:29:22 PM »
From what we are seeing, the mix-in situation, and overall allergy-awareness is very location-specific.

Sometimes it's a VERY do-able situation for PN/TN.

Other times I run away screaming and with my hair on fire (language barriers and/or so dirty or other  . . . )

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 07:59:22 PM »
DS gets chocolate frostys (dying to type "frosties").  He gets the baked potato and teh garden salad. And during the summer he gets the Almond Chicken Berry Salad . . .

with no almonds or berries.

:rofl:

He is only PN.  And a vegetarian.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline maeve

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »
DS gets chocolate frostys (dying to type "frosties").  He gets the baked potato and teh garden salad. And during the summer he gets the Almond Chicken Berry Salad . . .

with no almonds or berries.

:rofl:

He is only PN.  And a vegetarian.

DD's not vegetarian so she gets a plain cheeseburger (with only ketchup on it) and fries (we're not worried about egg cross-contamination since her baked egg challenge).  She also gets the vanilla Frosty.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »
pn/tn here...I eat most everything there. I love frostys and frosty floats with coke....yummy!

They have an allergen chart in ours. I would assume most do.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin