imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: YoYo Donuts - Minnetonka, MN  (Read 6655 times)

Description: ***

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
YoYo Donuts - Minnetonka, MN
« on: September 14, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/18115

I was so excited to read about this donut shop. Mom and Pop kind of thing so only one store.

Their website states peanut/tn free! I will try to call and check it out, but OMG - maple glazed, apple-wood smoked bacon topped donuts!

Also pizzas and coffee.

We haven't had a donut shop experience since Krispy Kreme folded up shop and I cannot wait to take my kid there!

Here's their website in case you want to check it out:

http://yoyodonuts.com/about-us/

I just got off the phone with the owner and he said they made a decision to exclude nuts and peanuts from the menu - they have family with food allergy so they are careful to check all the flours, toppings, etc for pn/tn cross contamination.

They opened 9/2010 and I asked if customers complained about the lack of nuts/pns and he said only about 3 people asked for this compared to the 150 people that were so excited to have this as an option for their family when avoiding pn/tn.

I'll post after I get there this weekend. They also have lunch foods like pizza slices, hotdogs, etc. so my boys will be able to have lunch there too!

So excited!!!!

So we went to YoYo Donuts this morning. It was fantastic!

Here's why - the donuts themselves were really delicious, plus the huge mental boost of knowing that my kid could pick out any donut he fancied and eat it safely pushed the experience to the euphoria stage!

Sorry to be so gushing but I'm still coming down from the caffeine/sugar high. And the maple glazed donut with strip of bacon was so good - like pancakes with really good maple syrup and crispy bacon. I wondered how they kept the bacon crisp since the donut was cool and someone suggested it was that the bacon was glazed as well. Coffee was excellent - we just had plain coffee. And the red velvet was good, but the cherry fritter was even better. We look forward to working our way through the rest of the menu on future weekends!

Anyway - here's a tip, go early to get the best selection. We got there at 8 am and there was a line starting. I was reassured to see this because I want them to do well and stay in business for as long as we have a need for donuts.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:55:29 AM by hezzier »

Offline jasper740

Re: YoYo Donuts - Minnetonka, MN
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »
We love that place.  Even though it's on the opposite side of the cities for us every 2 months or so we trek over there.  So so so yummy! 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 05:05:46 PM »
We went for the second time today. Got there around noon, which was a better thing than getting there at 10 the first time we went. No line today. Line was out the door last time, which is frankly a cool thing, too.

It really is amazing. The donuts are wonderful, and the atmosphere is great. It's a popular place, and theyve won al kinds of Twin Cities awards for Best Donuts (and without any nuts!!). There is a PF sign on the door.

I haven't seen pizza there. I wonder if they still carry it. Yeah, looking at their website, I don't see pizza.

But in a few weeks they will offere but free ice cream--made in their own store!!!  How wonderful is that?

I can't wait!! I spent about 10 minutes talking with the owner's father. He said they're really careful about ingredients and making sure they're safe. He said that if a product has damaged packaging the send it back, because they don't want to risk XC.

They're going to make all their own toppings. They'll use Guittard for chocolate. Wow.

I've cream!  We'll have an ice cream place!!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »
Butt free ice cream?  Awesome!  I assume the but was a typo for butt.  ;)
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 07:48:25 PM »
Yes, I spend too much time with a 9 yo.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
I'm cracking up.  I will tell DS this. Too funny.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »
That tears it. I'm putting the house on the market and moving to a place that has safe donuts and ice cream!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
Oh goody!!! I'll help you unpack!

What gets me is that this place has lines out the door on Saturday mornings (cold ones, too) and has won all those awards for taste--and nobody is missing the peanuts.  It's possible to succeed without them!

Hey Rita's--take note!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 08:33:40 PM »
How about tree nuts??

Offline aggiedog

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »
Holy cow, I can barely search one site and you're linking to a whole 'nother one?  I had to back track and figure out where the heck you took me. ;)

Glad you found safe donuts and ice cream.  That is fantastic. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »
Actually, the owner's wife is allergic to tree nuts if I remember correctly.  Maybe it's tree nuts AND peanuts.  Anyway, they are tree nut and peanut free. 

Do you have tree nuts/peanuts on your donuts and rolls?

No.  We are peanut- and tree nut-free (with the exception of coconut.)  That means we do not purchase or use any peanuts, peanut butter, peanut oils or tree nuts of any kind (except coconut) in our facility.

http://yoyodonuts.com/about/

I can deal with winters. Yep.

BTW--DS had the first donut pictured on the link today--a s'mores donut. He said it even tasted a bit camp firey. :) There is a marshmallow in the hole and crumbled graham cracker on top of a chocolate donut.

But their maple one--wowza.  They have a maple/bacon one that we haven't tried, but they supposedly glaze the bacon before putting it atop the maple donut.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:54:19 PM by Macabre »

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 06:48:08 AM »
Mmmmmmm......bacon.

(Drooling)

Oh that donut sounds fantastic! 
USA

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 10:35:55 AM »
Mac, this place sounds heavenly -- and dangerous calorie-wise! lol

I know your ds is vegetarian.  Does he eat gelatin?  Marshmallows usually have gelatin in them.  Dandies, Sweet & Sara, and others make gelatin-free ones, and Dandies is definitely PN free. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
He goes on and off gelatin. When he was younger, no. But it's hard to find yogurt without it, and there are places where he needs to be able to get yogurt as a safe option.

Offline bleh

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 07:36:11 AM »
only a 12 hour drive away... road trip!
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)