FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "DO NOT FEED THIS CHILD!"  (Read 3110 times)

Description: Letter wording & details

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
"DO NOT FEED THIS CHILD!"
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:32:39 AM »
Feb 26th, 2009

ajasfolks2
Edited to add :  PUBLIC school, 504 (of sorts) in place  ~)

We have had another incident which requires a REPEAT "Do NOT Feed This Child" type of letter to school (and all org's associated with school, such as PTA) such that the wording is strong and CLEAR to everybody:

FEED THIS CHILD NOTHING.

ALL FOOD WILL COME FROM PARENTS ONLY.

THE *ONLY* FOOD ever fed by school or representatives to child will be in a bonafide school lockdown/emergency, in which case the food used will ONLY be from the emergency food kit already provided and approved by parents ((note, school reimbursed us for this kit, so no FAPE violation)).

NEVER assume that any food is "safe" for this child just because another parent or employee says so or feeds it to another LTFA child.

NEVER ask the child to determine the safety of any food to be eaten by this child OR rely on this child's insistence that a food NOT PROVIDED by parent(s) is SAFE for his/her consumption.

This DO NOT FEED directive applies to the entire school staff -- all teachers, counselors, substitute teachers, administration, library staff, aides/para-professionals, student/cadet teachers, cafeteria employees, janitorial staff, etc.

This DO NOT FEED directive applies to ANY organization conducting ANY event during school hours or on school property, to include PTA/PTO, Mad Science, extra-curricular clubs, etc.

This DO NOT FEED directive applies to ANY and ALL (other) parents who deem it necessary to arrive on school property with ANY food for a class or reward or party or project or activity.

This DO NOT FEED directive applies to ANY and ALL (other) students who attend this school or are present in the buildings or on the grounds.

OK then.  Detail-oriented folks, what have I missed?  What other people need to be included on this NO FEED list?  What other groups/scenarios have I not spelled out for this school?

I will NOT trust that the school admin manage to effectively disseminate the letter.  I WILL be cc'ing this thing to hell and back.  However, it will be up to the school to get this message across to the parents and children, in no uncertain terms.

Will link this thread to older thread just for background, should anyone be interested.

I've gone from livid to terrified at this point.

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

This school's district insistence on the child being the "fail safe" is bullcrap, to put it as politely as I can in this moment.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:33:16 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
Re: "DO NOT FEED THIS CHILD!"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:40:31 AM »
Follow ons

ajasfolks2
Related topics along this line (some offering some background):

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=7848&post_id=145505#145505

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=5359&start=1

And one rather vehement and passionate thread in OT
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=2693&start=106

CMdeux:
Make it crystal clear that you will regard VIOLATIONS (from anyone) to be a failure in the school's duty of care toward the child in question. 

IE.... even if they "can't (er-- or "won't") control what other" children, parents, etc. etc. "do," they can DAMNED well supervise their school properly.

Your child being given ANY food item in violation of this indicates a FAILURE TO PROPERLY SUPERVISE your child.

And if they can't, they can pay the piper.  >:(

Scout:
haven't there been news stories of kids being expelled and/or charged because they gave another student a cough drop, tylenol etc. (drug policy)

Seems the same to me, see if they can link it up.

ajasfolks2
Scout,
it is UNBELIEVABLE to me that they cannot make this same connection at this point.

WHAT DOES IT TAKE?

Somebody, please, give me some legal wording or a direction to head and I will.

Please.

Does it take a PERSONAL INJURY lawsuit?

Or is that only after they've killed my child?

pumpkin:
I would have everyone initial each line item and sign and date at
the end.

maybe add wording at the bottom to the effect of- failure to
follow the directives outlined in this document will result in .... whatever you want to push it to, an immediate letter to OCR,

or, any person who chooses to ignore these directives will be held personally and professionally responsible (or liable) for any reaction, no matter how minor, caused to this minor child.

ajasfolks2:
oh, pumpkin,

THANK YOU

(I have been so mired in this wallow of brown matter) I had forgotten about some sort of "acknowledgement" siggy requirement.

EXACTLY what is needed.

Please, EVERYBODY, take this to heart.

We, as parents, are required to sign all sorts of "acknowledgement" forms WRT schools.

Time to insist in reciprocation.

Our childrens' LIVES are at stake.

Nothing less.

Mfamom:
Wow, unbelievable. Honestly, I don't know if they're ever gonna get this, Eliz.
I'm scared for you.
I cannot understand why people in charge of educating our children cannot follow a simple request made by a parent of an allergic student in their care.
I'm sorry. I don't know what else to say.

maeve:
~e
Best of luck with this issue. I have no suggested changes to the wording. IMHO, the sparseness of the language should make it more effective. (The verbal equivalent of hitting them over the head with an oar.) The only change I would suggest is adding a space between school and or in your first parapgraph.

We've had an issue at school with DD being given food (a candy cane in kindergarten) even though there was clear direction that she should be given no food that did not come from mom and dad. I won't even allow food brought by others but approved by us; IMO that opens the door to others thinking they can determine what is safe for DD based on what we'd previously approved. (In fact, I had the allergist remove such language from their letter for school.)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:33:14 AM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »
ajasfolks2:
maeve -- thanks for catching my typo

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

really, how do we (those of us in a certain state) combine efforts and effect MEANINGFUL and LASTING change?

Because there seems to be little going on in this state to advocate for LTFA children in schools.

Ok, next-to-nothing.

Most/damn-near-all of what I see/experience here is ALL about the LTFA families totally accommodating the schools and use of food at every turn.

The NEED-to-FEED rules here.

I need to say this publicly -- others have said it here & elsewhere -- caving to the schools in this way sets a precedent that is horrific in its potential results.

PLEASE, everybody, think about what you do to those who come behind when you ACCOMMODATE {the use of food over the child's rights}.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:33:40 AM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »
rysmom:
I asked dd today which snack I packed did she eat a lunch and which did she save for after school care. (she just started the after school care yesterday because dh is working 12 hour shifts this week)
She said she ate a brownie at lunch that Morgan's mom gave everyone. WTH! She is 8 years old, I had a lengthy conversation with her YESTERDAY about not eating foods others give her, etc...
I just had a discussion with her teacher yesterday after a mom gave out peanut oil chips for Mardi Gras.

DID NO ONE LISTEN TO ME? :banghead:
[/size]
I just unpacked her lunch box and a Little Debbie snack cake fell out. I don't buy Little Debbie snack cakes. Why would she take it from someone? It's like she is caving to peer pressure or something. WHY after all these years is she doing this now?

ajasfolks2:
rysmom --

you MUST consider sending strongly worded letter to school admin (cc'd all the way up in district) that FORBIDS them (anyone in school building) from giving your child ANY FOOD EVER.

It only takes a bite.

WE MUST NOT FORGET THAT!!

CMdeux:
Once you have COLLECTED SIGNATURES, return a notarized copy to the school, Ajas.

maeve:
rysmom,
You might want to check to see if your school has a no sharing policy at lunch and that it is being enforced. 

CMdeux:
And collect siggies on TWO copies.  Notarize BOTH.

Retain one for your safety deposit box.

maeve:
And collect siggies on TWO copies.  Notarize BOTH.

Retain one for your safety deposit box sue their sorry hides evidence collection box.

There.  Fixed it for you.

rysmom:
dd is in private school. So I don't what I can do? Any suggestions. Last year there were 3 PA kids in her class. Now she is the only one in 2nd grade. Not as much awareness now I guess. I am going to talk to the teacher ONE more time and stress that I need to be notified any time there is snacks brought in for the kids. Heck, I have email, cell phone and work phone. It's not like they can not reach me.

ajasfolks2:
rysmom -- RELIGIOUS private school?  What is published MISSION statement of school and other policies/procedures?

Do they recieve one cent of Fed funds for ANYTHING?

Because, if they do, you are eligible for 504.

PS -- I ask because we came from private, secular school in southern state . . . lots of folks here from Texas and/or with Texas experience.  Hoping we can help you somehow . . .

rysmom:
Catholic school

CMdeux:
The question is whether or not they recieve any Federal assistance.

Do they have a USDA lunch program, for example? 

ajasfolks2:

rysmom -- sometime tomorrow or over weekend, I will try to re-raise some of the discussions we've had about private schools.  Hopefully, something there will be helpful.

Sometimes, when dealing with private religious schools, you have to put their mission statements and religious beliefs to the test to get them to truly SEE what is right and wrong -- especially so far as their professed beliefs/tenets. 

And you must be prepared to discover that these schools are operated by humans (flawed, quite often).

rysmom:
not sure, they have a private company come in and do the lunches. They cost $4.50 for your kid to eat lunch at school! Mine of course brown bags it. I will dig deaper to see what I can find out. Thanks everyone for the help!

unknown:
Ajas,

I'm thinking out loud here about what the people in your state need to do with disabled children as a whole in regard to standardized accommodations in schools.

Are there any support or lobbying groups nearby for either FA's or diabeties? Do the diabetic kids in your state deal with these food issues? I'm wondering if you all couldn't join forces somehow & lobby for fundamental change on a state level. Ya know, the whole "power in numbers" thing......

McCobbre:
My Sped Dir, just in the last hour, talked about addressing 504s for FAs within the next year at statewide meetings of his folk. There are some things he totally gets. I really want him to spread the love.

maeve:
I know my district was the subject of a pretty significant lawsuit in regards to diabetes management. This happened before we moved to the district.

McCobbre:
Yes, well, yours was also the site of a pretty awful case about separating a child out because of his diability.

Sigh. It's always an uphill climb. . . .

Oh--adding that our districts all share at least one commonality where all this is concerned. AND--I think that commonality has been improving for us in recent years. Hoping.

MamaZu:
really, how do we (those of us in a certain state) combine efforts and effect MEANINGFUL and LASTING change?

I am going to ask this very question to my reliable source.   
This is where I am headed next.   (once I finish with my immediate battle, I mean)

First I plan to tackle the county, then the state.   
It NEEDS to be done.   

Enough of this recreating the wheel every other month.   GEESH!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:33:51 AM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:56:19 AM »
ajasfolks2
Sept. 2010:
Adding link to this thread to new discussion (Sept 2010) here as to student being fed at school & ensuing anaphylaxis:

Anaphylaxis at school, teacher at fault, unclear what happens now!  by eggallergymom

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=16739

Anaphylaxis at school, teacher at fault, unclear what happens now!  by eggallergymom
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:34:08 AM by ajasfolks2 »