imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: The Reflux Thread: One stop shopping for all your reflux issues  (Read 23954 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Re: The Reflux Thread: One stop shopping for all your reflux issues
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
"PPI use linked to nosocomial C. difficile infection"
http://www.healio.com/gastroenterology/infection/news/online/%7B0dea6ef3-acff-4f69-84df-116f6229fb2e%7D/ppi-use-linked-to-nosocomial-c-difficile-infection

Patients who received therapy with proton pump inhibitors were more likely to develop Clostridium difficile infection while hospitalized than those who did not in a recent study.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »
"GERD: Magnetic Device Called Safe, Effective"
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/812213

Surgeons at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, however, are waiting for more evidence before they adopt MSA as a procedure

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 07:50:13 AM »
"PPIs May Reduce Esophageal Cancer Risk in Barrett's Esophagus"
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/815054

Patients with Barrett's esophagus who used proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) had a lower risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma, in a systematic review and meta-analysis of seven observational studies.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 03:22:36 PM »
"Antacid drugs linked to vitamin B-12 deficiency"
http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Antacid-drugs-linked-to-vitamin-B-12-deficiency-5052769.php

Kaiser researchers have linked long-term use of a popular type of antacid medication to vitamin B-12 deficiency, a condition that when left untreated can increase the risk of dementia, nerve damage, anemia and other potentially serious medical problems.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 01:51:35 PM »
"MRI modeling revealed abnormal structure, function in GERD patients’ esophagogastric junction"
http://www.healio.com/gastroenterology/esophagus/news/online/%7Bb75ec0e8-0af1-42d7-8c81-44f58def28af%7D/mri-modeling-revealed-abnormal-structure-function-in-gerd-patients-esophagogastric-junction

Three-dimensional models reconstructed from MRI images revealed a wider esophagogastric insertion angle plus altered gastric morphology that could compromise reflux protection by the “flap valve” mechanism in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »
"PPI prescription from gastroenterologist linked to better outcomes"
http://www.smartbrief.com/06/06/14/ppi-prescription-gastroenterologist-linked-better-outcomes#.U5jLAX-9KSM

A study published in The American Journal of Gastroenterology showed 71% of patients prescribed proton pump inhibitors by a gastroenterologist were optimal users, compared with 47% of those who got a prescription from a primary care physician and 39% who purchased an over-the-counter form of the medication.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 06:51:42 PM »
"Majority of severe GERD patients required long-term PPI use after antireflux surgery"
http://www.healio.com/gastroenterology/esophagus/news/online/%7B1ab4d0e7-128d-431c-ab9c-4abb49964829%7D/majority-of-severe-gerd-patients-required-long-term-ppi-use-after-antireflux-surgery

Patients with severe GERD used proton pump inhibitors after antireflux surgery at much higher rates than previously reported, and more than half became long-term users 10 to 15 years after surgery, according to recent study data.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 07:15:04 PM »
BYE-BYE, PPI.

A toolkit for deprescribing proton pump inhibitors in EMR-enabled primary care settings

http://www.choosingwiselycanada.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/CWC_PPI_Toolkit_v1.0_2016-04-08.pdf

Offline MaryM

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
Re-raising this.  DD's appointment with bigwig ENT in Philly for vocal fatigue showed damage caused by reflux.  She is drinking alkaline water and I am trying to figure out what to feed her.  We have been doing a lot of grilled chicken and orzo with a veg lately.  We had pasta with sauce the other day and she told me she could feel the reflux.  Last night I made chicken tacos with a bit of fresh OJ and lime juice and again her reflux flared.  She has been on Prevacid and Zantac for the last few weeks.  I know tomatoes and citrus are not good for reflux but they have never bothered her before.  So, any tips on what to feed her? The Dr. recommended at cook book called Dropping Acid but her diet is already quite limited with dairy, egg, pn & tn allergies - and she is picky.  I always cook with onions and garlic and I guess I need to stop....

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 05:40:06 PM »
The name of that book is hilarious!

Everyone's triggers are different.  Tomatoes bother me, and too much fat bothers me.  If you put them together (read: Pizza) it's a disaster.  I won't lie - I do cheat from time to time, b/c I love pizza, baked ziti, lasagna, etc. 

Caffeine, carbonation, onions, garlic and chocolate are also common triggers.  As is alcohol, which I'm sure isn't her problem.  ;)

I hope you can find the culprit, and that it doesn't limit her diet too much further.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 03:11:52 PM »
I need to make an update here. Lots going on!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Meganx5

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 11:42:07 AM »
Alright, I (my husband I guess, not me.. me for sanity reasons due to this) NEED HELP.
In April, he started getting a burning feeling in his throat.  He's dealt with minor acid reflux before, nothing Tums or Pepcid wouldn't fix.
Well he stopped eating because it was burning so much.  This guy is 116lbs soaking wet, on a GOOD day, that's always been his norm.  He's since had an endoscopy, they found 15 eosinaphils in his lower antrum, he had himself convinced it was EOE and it was the end of the world and his life.  I'll admit, he had me almost convinced.  He then had another endoscopy done, and his results were GERD and Gastritis. 

He's still not eating much, is down to 98lbs due to NOT eating.

His symptoms are feeling like he's choking, like food takes a while to go down, constant burning, sour taste in his mouth, burning tongue.  This man is this biggest hard headed fool I've seen.  (I love him, I swear, we just clash so much with our opinions on his treatment, lol.)  He's very condescending and rude about everything we try to get him to do.

What should we do?  Dr's aren't helping, Zantac and Nexium dind't help.  I just want my husband back - without the snarky attitude.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 12:29:30 PM »
Two extra strength Zantac each day did not control my reflux.  Doctor switched me to prescription omeprazole (Prilosec, but rx is cheaper than even generic OTC).  One capsule each morning on an empty stomach and my reflux is the best it's been in years.  Also, try elevating his head while sleeping.  I was doing that for a bit of relief, but don't need to anymore.  FWIW, my reflux is always worse when my stomach is empty.

You should also check out the reflux thread(s) in the Other Health section below.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.