FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Sulfite/Food Additive Sensitivities

Unexpected Sources of Sulfites

(1/3) > >>

AdminCM:
Unexpected Sources of Sulfites

admin rebekahc:
ajasfolks2
Moderator1
Posted: 01.20.2008 at 06:24:17

Was surprised to read the ingredients on a jar of McCormick spice

McCormick
Gourmet Collection Blends

Chai Spice Blend

Ingr:  Spices (Including ginger and cinnamon), sugar, and sulfiting agents.

No mention on jar as to where / what country this was made.

http://www.mccormickgourmet.com
1-800-632-5847

Enable the child with LTFA: Disable the food use!

Committee Member FIREBIRD

DS - PA/TNA, latex, other legumes, mango
DD - TNA/verifying PA; drug allergies
Me - sulfites and other drugs

admin rebekahc:
Daisy
Posted: 01.20.2008 at 09:19:13

Dexamethasone, and some other injectable corticosteriods. You may be given these at the ER for an allergic reaction, in combination with Benadryl & Epinephrine. Steroids are often used to lessen the occurance of bi-phasic reaction.

--- Quote ---Each mL of Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate Injection 4 mg/mL contains Dexamethasone sodium phosphate, equivalent to 4 mg Dexamethasone phosphate or 3.33 mg Dexamethasone. Inactive ingredients per mL: 1 mg sodium sulfite anhydrous, 19.4 mg sodium citrate anhydrous and 10.42 mg (0.01 mL) benzyl alcohol (preservative) in Water for Injection.

Each mL of Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate Injection 10 mg/mL contains Dexamethasone sodium phosphate, equivalent to 10 mg Dexamethasone phosphate or 8.33 mg Dexamethasone. Inactive ingredients per mL: 1.5 mg sodium sulfite anhydrous, 16.5 mg sodium citrate anhydrous and 10.42 mg (0.01 mL) benzyl alcohol (preservative) in Water for Injection.
--- End quote ---

http://www.drugs.com/pro/dexamethasone-injection.html

You must wear a medic alert. There are alternative meds you can be given, but you do not want to add to your problems if you are already experiencing an allergic reaction.

I keep oral steroids in my purse, prescribed by my Allergist, for just such an occasion. When the ER Doc wants to give steroids, I opt for my own meds, as my pharmacist has already checked these out. The Rx is very cheap, so I consider it good luck if I get through a year without using them.
Daisy

Self: seafood, egg, nuts, sulfites, yellow dye, IV contrast
GA - USA

admin rebekahc:
Daisy
Posted: 01.20.2008 at 09:29:35

Here is a more comprehensive list of meds to avoid. Most are injectable.

--- Quote ---What Medications Contain Sulfites?
Bronchodilator solutions for asthma
Adrenalin chloride 1:1000 concentration
Bronkosol
Isuprel hydrochloride solution
Topical eye drops

Pred-Mild
Pred-Forte
Sulfacetamide
Prednisol
dexamethasone)
Injectable medications

Amikacin
Betamethasone phosphate (Celestone)
Chloropromazine (Thorazine)
Dexamethasone phosphate (Decadron)
Dopamine
Epinephrine (Adrenaline, Ana-Kit, Epi-Pen)
Garamycin
Gentamycin
Isoetharine HCl
Isoproterenol (injectable)
Hydrocortisone (injectable)
Lidocaine with epinephrine (Xylocaine)
Meperidine (Demerol)
Metarminol
Norepinephrine (Levophed)
Procaine (Novocaine)
Prochloroperazine (Compazine)
Promethazine (Phenergan)
Solutions for total parenteral nutrition and dialysis
Tobramycin
--- End quote ---

http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/sulfites_2.htm

Lidocaine, commonly used for dental procedures is a no-no. My dentist showed me the can that the little ampules come in. Carbocaine is an alternative (be sure you read the label); it is a little shorter acting, but he uses this for folks that have reacted to the lidocaine.

Daisy

GA - USA

admin rebekahc:

Daisy
Posted: 01.20.2008 at 09:34:44

One of the strangest things I've seen sulfites in is Keebler crackers. Since coming to the boards, I have started to tighten my comfort zone. I have read many good things about Keebler labelling practices, but have found several types of crackers they offer, including the Club crackers, contain sulfites. Yikes! Like can they not find another way to do this?

Also, one of the kids gummy fruit candies has sulfites. DD found this in the packaged goodies at the checkout.
ETA: I saw the Scooby Doo gummy candy hanging at the checkout today at Target (USA).

And pepper sauce, the little pickled green/yellow peppers in the shaker bottle. My family uses them on greens and black-eyed peas.

« Last Edited by Daisy 01.28.2008 at 07:19:09 »

GA - USA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version