FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Sulfite/Food Additive Sensitivities

Sulfite Reactions: How do you treat one?

(1/4) > >>

AdminCM:
McCobbre
Posted: 01.11.2008 at 10:29:40

Avoidance is great, but once you are having a sulfite "reaction" how do you treat it?

It happened tonight. We were watching Dr. Who for about 2.5 hours (2 episodes and 30 minutes of bonus stuff), and about 30 min. before I had my first beer. I had two more--so over 3 hours. It hit me like a ton of bricks--I felt awful. I couldn't stand up well at one point and lay on the floor. DH gave me benadryl although I don't think it can help.

I know what to do for an allergic response but what about a chemical response?

ETA: See this thread for sulfite levels:
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=edit_post&topic_id=502

Beer is in the low category, but I am thinking that my reaction was the result of a cumulative effect. I also had four slices of (frozen) pizza (also on the low list) topped with pineapple (no doubt canned) and Canadian bacon (don't know of that's a problem). I had also been eating grapes (on the low list). There's a lot of low level stuff, but I think it accumulated and wham--hit me.

This wasn't my worst reaction. My worst was when I actually threw up. But this was probably my second worst. At one point when DH was trying to hand me a benadryl strip (before he went to get the liquid bena in the next room) I had a hard time lifting my hand. Perhaps we should have Epid, but the inability to move well was quite temporary.

I did start feeling better after the bena but I don't know if that would have happened anyway without it--since this is not technically an allergic response.

I think I will ask Lupin to split this thread. I don't know if a reaction belongs in the same thread as info about sulfites.

« Last Edited by McCobbre 02.29.2008 at 08:14:08 »

"Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic. They are potent forms of enchantment, rich with the power to hurt or heal."~Albus Dumbledore

Me: shellfish, chamomile, sesame and a few odds & ends
DS: peanuts

admin rebekahc:
McCobbre
Posted: 01.12.2008 at 10:28:43

Just to add: this was after three Shiner Bocks.

<sniffle>

"Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic. They are potent forms of enchantment, rich with the power to hurt or heal."~Albus Dumbledore

admin rebekahc:
ajasfolks2
Moderator1
Posted: 01.12.2008 at 10:43:50

Not trying to second guess, but I'm not sure the benadryl would have been advisable after alcoholic beverage, even spread out over that amount of time. I would address this with the doctor.

For me, I know that my sulfite reactions seem to be the toughest to get under control -- more blood pressure-ish issues as well as asthma/breathing issues than with any other allergen. In fact, some of my worst sulfite reactions have been when I've had a beer (a typical brand for me, never a problem previously) or two and then unwittingly eaten something like olives with sulfites.

I am wondering about the Canadian Bacon. Once upon a time there were meat-with-rind products (hams, turkeys, etc) where peanut oil was in the glaze/rind but NOT on the ingredient label.

Just thinking that there may have been a combo reaction here (low-level sulfites and peanut or other allergen xcontam)?

If this were me, I would cross off that brand of frozen pizza.

Also, I would want to be certain that there is no other underlying physiological/medical cause for blood pressure issues. (BP monitoring of some kind seems like good plan.)

I don't know if 1 word of this is useful.

Hope you are feeling better SOON!

~e

PS -- Consider that you have recently not been well and that your immune system was already in heightened mode.

Enable the child with LTFA: Disable the food use!

Committee Member FIREBIRD

DS - PA/TNA, latex, other legumes, mango
DD - TNA/verifying PA; drug allergies
Me - sulfites and other drugs

admin rebekahc:
Daisy
Posted: 01.13.2008 at 09:23:50

Oh my! {{{HUGS}}}
Sulfites are the worst, because they pop up in the craziest things. They are listed on the label if they are >10 ppm, but I react to less than, of course.

I treat an anaphylactoid reaction the same way an anaphylactic reaction is treated. But like ajasfolks said, I don't know about how much Benadryl is safe with beer. Both have quite a sedative effect. In the ER they usually give me Benadryl & steroids for reactions that do not involve a drop in BP or pulse-ox. Have you asked your Doc about prescribing steroids to keep with you? I keep the 10 mg prednisone, and prefer to use these even in the ER because one of the injectable steroids has sulfites.  ::)  yes...a royal pain to deal with...  My Pharmacist is very careful to read the ingredients & give me a copy when she fills my Rx.

The enzyme that breaks down sulfite needs to build back up in your system. Be especially careful to avoid grapes, raisins, frozen dough, packaged coconut, or anything fermented (beer/wine/vinegars). Even if it is not something that usually bothers you. Sadly, even some tortilla products contain sulfites, so be careful.

{{{hugs}}}
Daisy

PS. This is my own personal experience. No advice or recommendations given. I do not have asthma. Everyone please remember to discuss treatment plans with your Doc.

Self: seafood, egg, nuts, sulfites, yellow dye, IV contrast
GA - USA

admin rebekahc:
McCobbre
Posted: 02.28.2008 at 11:25:52

Pepcid AC (so an H-2 blocker) and water are recommended here, as well as treating a sulfite reaction as you would an ordinary reaction.

http://www.babyandkidallergies.com/avoiding-sulfites.php

I completely forgot about mentioning my problems with sulfites with my allergist when saw him two weeks ago. I got involved in talking with him about DS' 504.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version