FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: School Holiday/Christmas Party Activities (ajasfolks2)  (Read 28143 times)

Description: All you creative minds are needed! (2007)

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
School Holiday/Christmas Party Activities (ajasfolks2)
« on: September 16, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »
OK -- I'm in charge of the Christmas Party (yes, it is called that because it is private school & they can -- there is separate Hanukkah celebration too).

Class is 3rd grade -- 8 - 10 year-olds.  Only 17 kids. 

I'm wanting to have different "stations" -- probably 4 -- with a separate craft or "to do" activity at each.  I'm planning to keep this "non-religious" (eventhough it's called "Christmas" party) and won't be doing anything blatantly associated with Christianity. 

I have a great "old" (1976) holiday craft book that has given me a couple ideas.  Also might like to do pinata filled with non-food things.  It would be nice to have some activities that are traditional to other countries so to make this a different & perhaps "broadening" experience for these kids (most of whom are from families that have lived for generations in this small, southern town . . . yeah, they go to Vail to ski, but know little of the real world).

The party is typically given 1 to 1 1/2 hours at the end of the day.

Heck, I'm ambitious enough I might have them try candle making!

Throw me some bones!

~e

PS -- No need to suggest the activity "Pin the Perfect Smile on the Cupcake Queen" as that will likely be forbidden by our school admin.  Darn.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:31:37 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
Re: School Holiday/Christmas Party Activities (ajasfolks2)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 04:10:54 PM »
Follow ons:

CMdeux
Paper cutting..... There are some beautiful books that give lovely ideas, and this is a traditionally Mexican art form that ties in well with the more familiar snowflake-cutting that many kids have already done.

Can't recall the correct name for it though. ETA:  'Papel Picado'-- it is what is used to create the lovely bright paper 'flags' for Cinco de Mayo and Dia de los Muertos.

I'll see if I can find you a couple of references to look for at a local library.

Here's one of my personal favorites:
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Magic-Windows-Creating-Cut-Paper/dp/0892391596/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196369714&sr=8-4

There is also a Teutonic traditional cut-paper art-- Scherenschnitte.

http://www.amazon.com/Scherenschnitte-Designs-Techniques-Traditional-Papercutting/dp/1887374183/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196370402&sr=1-28

Hawaiian applique books frequently have simple designs which are amenable to use by young children, but resemble the natural designs common to Scherenschnitte as an art form.

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Applique-Vicky-Fleming/dp/1574328379/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196370258&sr=1-6

Another idea is mosiac work, using paper squares.

McCobbre
I have some good books that emphasize world traditions, and I believe I've unpacked them. I'll check when I get home.

One thing I can think of that DS made in school in First Grade was a pomander ball with an orange and cloves. I still smells good. But it IS food.

I'll find some other ideas.

ajasfolks2
Re-raising as the holiday events are rapidly approaching . . . 

I need another winner like the pumpkin bowling!!   ;D  ;D

CMdeux
could you perhaps roll real bowling balls at actual g-bread houses??   ;D

Or perhaps a 'shot-put' style variation?

ajasfolks2
could you perhaps roll real bowling balls at actual g-bread houses??   ;D

Or perhaps a 'shot-put' style variation?

What, no glitter-decorated javelin throw?!   ;D

ROFLMBO.

;D  ;D

unknown
I saw that you are trying to keep this non religious.  Is it still O.K. to talk about Christmas traditions from other countries? 

If so, I found a unit from Mailbox.  "A Christmas World Tour".  It fits in with what you want--arts and crafts from different countries.
You give the kids passports for the different countries you are celebrating.  As they go to each center/station, they get their passport stamped for that country.

These are the countries they had listed and a craft for each one:

England:
Christmas cornucopia.  I know you want to avoid food (and I totally understand that!), but what if they were filled with other odds and ends instead?  This is what they listed about cornucopias:

"Christmas trees in English homes often include cornucopia ornaments to symbolize the spirit of sharing the plenty with others."  They have a pattern in the book that you cut out and have the kids shape the paper into a cone.  Staple or glue it together and decorate the cone with ribbon, sequins, glitter, stickers, etc.  Atttach a piece of gold cord for hanging.  Fill them and let the children take them home.

France
"At Christmastime the French hang door decorations on their front doors to welcome friends and neighbors."  Have students create a Noel door hanger to take home.  Students need a 12 x 5 piece of colored construction paper, a 6 inch dowel (if money is an issue, use sticks), Christmas gift wrap, scissors, glue, sequins, rickrack, ribbon, and glitter.

To make a hanger, cut a v at the bottom of the construction paper.
Fold the top edge over and glue it in place to form a casing for the dowel.  Trace the word Noel on wrapping paper.  Cut out the letters and glue them vertically on the construction-paper banner.  Decorate the banner with sequins, glitter, and rickrack.  Insert the dowel and tie a piece of ribbon to each end.  Have the students tie the ribbon into bows.

Germany

As CM stated, there is an art of German paper cutting called scherenschnitte (SHEAR-en-scnhit-tah)  You can show the students pictures of it (if you can find them).  At crafts stores you may be able to find templates for students to trace and cut out ornaments from white paper.

You can also read An Early American Christmas by Tomie DePaola.  Discuss how the tradition of the lighted Christmas tree came to America from Germany.

They list ideas from Italy, but they ARE linked to Christianity, so I won't bother listing them.

Mexico
They suggest reading the Legend of the Poinsettia by Tomie DePaola, but if I remember correctly, I believe that is linked to religion too.  You'll have to check.  Then they have a craft to make paper poinsettias.  If you want to make them, let me know and I'll post directions.

They also mention las posadas and pinatas, but again, it's linked to religion.  "The nine days before Christmas are called Las Posadas in Mexico.  Each evening beginning on December 16, processions make their way through the village streets to reenact the journey of Joseph and Mary to Bethlehem.  The travelers, led by a boy and girl carrying figures of Joseph and Mary go from house to house looking for posada, or shelter, each night until Christams Eve.  Each posada is followed by a feast at a participant's home where the children try to break a pinata" 

They suggest having the children make pictures of pinatas (star shaped ones) by having them cut out one four inch circle and 5 triangles.  They assemble into a star shape.  They then glue small squares of colored tissue paper on their picture of the pinata.

They also list ideas about St. Lucia and Christmas in Sweden.  Let me know if you want that info too.  I wasn't sure.

All ideas from December: A Month of Ideas At Your Fingertips! Grades 1-3 by The Education Center (brought to you by Mailbox)

I didn't find any fun games this time.  Sorry.  :-/

Chicago
One thing that I recall being very popular in 3rd was the "Dress for the Winter" relay race. It can be played in a decent stretch of hallway. You just need some sets of winter clothes like 3 pairs of boots and mittens, hats, scarfs and coat (any sizes are OK as long as the kids won't trip). Then run it like a regular relay were someother goes down, dresses, runs back, takes off the clothes, tags teammate etc...

Also using different dried pasta shapes glued onto contruction paper to make snowflakes is fun. With all the different shaped pastas, the results can be very creative.

If you do want to make candles, you can buy sheets of wax (it looks like it is honeycombed) and have them make candles without the heat. The directions are on the package - it is sort of a roll up thing.

Kids that age also love Mad Libs and Word Searchs - you can make your own word search at www.puzzlemaker.com

notnutty
I picked up some little ornaments at Michaels for my DS to paint. He has been working on them all weekend. Just some simple paint and these ornaments have kept him busy for hours this snow-bound weekend.

They were inexpensive and included snowflakes and teddy bears (not really Christmas).

Just an idea.

Mfamom
For our 4th grade holiday party, there is a grab bag. Each child brings in something small & wrapped and they play a game to grab a gift.
The kids also are writing an Acrostic poem for another child whose name they draw. The poem is done ahead of time and decorated. They will read the poems outloud.
Snack baked by me and water.

Mfamom
Our school has banned any activity like this due to fear of spreading of Lice. 

Momcat
We are going to sing various holiday songs :) and have refreshements ::) (Kindergarten)

ajasfolks2
Just wanted to say thanks for the many & varied suggestions. Happy to receive more if anyone feels so inclined.

Am definitely going to try the dress for winter relay, but without head gear. THANKS mfamom for that health/safety tidbit!

Am considering doing the whole thing with a Mexican theme -- maybe even play a couple CDs of holiday music I have that is all sung in Spanish. Pinata filled with non-food stuff. Might do a "Hangman" game with Santa as the character drawn for each miss and some words being Spanish. (Maybe put the English word alongside the Spanish word & they have to get both?) One craft table with Mexican paper "to do".

The party has "requirement" of food (they've basically pre-billed this as "breakfast" without my knowledge or input) and I have no recourse there (having exhausted my pleas at this point) -- nothing like a private school for ya.

Happy happy joy joy.

ajasfolks2
Alrighty.  Had to try to come up with a more "complicated" version (additional silliness) for the winter clothes relay (sans hats) -- so here it is.  Will let you-all know how it went (party is next Wednesday):

Three teams of 6 kids each  ~or~ Two teams of 8 (will depend if we have some absent)

Billing this as the Twisted Christmas Relay.   ;D

The FIRST runner must dress and then run with one hand doing a "blinking nose" indication.  = "Rudolph"

The next 5-7 runners must dress and then run with at least 1 hand up behind head as antlers (other hand will be holding up adult-sized snow pants). = "All of the other reindeer"

The final runner must dress and then run while saying "Ho HO HO!" over and over.  = "Santa"
Teammates may join in with the ho-HO-HO-ing.

I'm not planning any prizes -- but (HUGE BUT) if I have time, I might design & print up some silly certificates for all the kids that say they are officially "back up reindeer" in case Santa needs their assistance, or he decides to head to Florida for early retirement.   ;D

The things I get myself into . . . .

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:31:48 AM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
Re: School Holiday/Christmas Party Activities (ajasfolks2)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »
More follow ons

Chicago
I love the twisted relay ideas!

I did remember on other thing I used to do for the holiday party was make up a simple form on which the kids would write a "prediction" as to what would happen by the end of the school year. Like "By June 2008, I will be ...." Then I collected them and saved them until the End of the School Year party. They had a blast laughing at their predictions and even seeing how their spelling/handwriting had changed.

I hope you have a great party.

ajasfolks2
OH, Chicago!

The End-of-year predictions thing is perfect!  I have 2 moms helping with the party who are not comfortable handling a "craft table" and I really needed 1 other independent activity instead of craft-o-mation.

Totally perfect -- will have these on the desks for kids to work on and can involve the teacher and make a big deal of an envelope or even "time capsule" to open in late May.  The kids will think this is so cool.

Glad you liked the relay race.  IF we have time to do second race, I will have everybody gallop or prance like reindeer rather than run.  With antlers up, of course.  Maybe the last guy can be Yukon Cornelius on that one & yell "mush" (eventhough I know he has a sled pulled by team of dogs, LOL).  If the kids call me on that mistake, they can crawl & bark.   ;D

It's all OK.  They already think I'm the Weirdo-Mom-From-Nevada.

Gail
I think we've decided to do a "New Year's Eve" theme for our 'holiday' party.  Share our favorite events in 2007, and make resolutions for 2008.  Undetermined game.  The moms are serving various 'appetizers' on silver trays (e.g. cheese and crackers).  We'll do the count-down with noise-makers,  confetti.  Apple juice in plastic champagne glasses and make toasts to the new year. 

Love the twisted relay race!  :)

ajasfolks2 (2010)
Quote from: 13 post_id=375514 date=1291412931
Don't know if I posted this here -- I dressed in jeans & white shirt with Christmas tie & ball cap and whistle.

I was the coach.

I had some antlers too, if I recall.

Pinata was a large star (Wal-mart).  Filled with small toys and school supplies and kid-stuff.  No food.  I had a couple mom's donate this stuff, so I didn't have to buy.  Filling a pinata can take some time, so plan ahead!

I did do the prediction letter.

Also, there was a certificate for reindeers . . . I even had a want ad that I read for "reindeer assitants" before we went out to the relays.  I'll look to see if I have it.  (Had to tread lightly as many/most of the kids were still Santa-believers.)

It was a lot of fun.  The other 3rd grade did some prissy sit-down breakfast with boring "have to's" . . . my kids got to be kids.

;D

ajasfolks2
Found this site today & thought some of its material might be useful?

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/Xmas/santajokes.htm

hc
Oh for next year:

My all time favorite is dipping beeswax candles. It requires work and there is some danger but my school did it last year and Waldorf schools usually have it as part of their Xmas fairs.

Put a table with lovely greenery in the middle. Dim the lights. Add music and let the children walk in a circle dipping their candles at four different dipping stations. You will have to look up more. Yes you are dealing with heat -- but the kids calm down and love this and the product - beeswax candles are lovely.

Wooden candle holders - forget exactly how they made the hollow part - but they were made from slices of log and then greenery and holly berries were tucked in large staples.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:32:02 AM by ajasfolks2 »