FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cosmetics containing sunflower  (Read 20273 times)

Description:

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
Re: Cosmetics containing sunflower
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 12:36:55 PM »
iceebear
Posted: 06.28.2009 at 09:05:24

If any of y'all have a list of foods that contain sunflower I would like to have a copy. My Dad has sunflower oil allergies.

Thanks

TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 12:37:40 PM »
Ra3chel
Posted: 06.29.2009 at 08:18:35

It would be miles long--sunflower shows up in everything from chips to frozen juice.. The most important thing is going to be reading every ingredient list, every time, and staying very leery of restaurants. Because sunflower isn't a top-8 allergen, it can also be a hidden ingredient, in things like "vegetable oil" and "seasoning," so look for products that actually list all ingredients; you may also want to consider calling manufacturers if you're not sure.

The 3 is silent.
TX USA

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 09:58:52 AM »
Ra3chel
Posted: 06.29.2009 at 08:18:35

It would be miles long--sunflower shows up in everything from chips to frozen juice.. The most important thing is going to be reading every ingredient list, every time, and staying very leery of restaurants. Because sunflower isn't a top-8 allergen, it can also be a hidden ingredient, in things like "vegetable oil" and "seasoning," so look for products that actually list all ingredients; you may also want to consider calling manufacturers if you're not sure.

The 3 is silent.

Bump for new member.

I think this must be the thread, yes?

I will see if I can figure out who authored the initial post originally.

I also wanted to REPEAT Ra3chel's very wise words (above).

Best strategies for avoidance generally involve food that is really minimally processed-- or UNprocessed-- just like any other allergen.  With a non-top-8 allergen this is all the more critical.

Be VERY wary of ANY and ALL processed food.

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »
The original author has deleted his/her account at hyperboards, so I don't have any obvious way of contacting him/her.

There is a wealth of information, though, in the threads in this section of the site.  If you just search this particular forum for the word "sunflower" you should find a LOT of helpful information on avoidance, shopping, especially hard-to-find food items (corn chips, crackers, and tortillas), and restaurant tips.