FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Seed Allergy

Is there a positive predictive value for sesame?

(1/4) > >>

AdminCM:
Is there a positive predictive value for sesame?

admin rebekahc:
DoubleAs
Posted: 08.04.2008 at 06:15:03

My son ate hummos and crackers with sesame seeds without a problem up until December. Then one day we went to a party at someone's house and he ate some hummos and tried a cashew (had always tested negative to nuts, but had never tried cashews). He had a severe reaction. When his allergist tested him the following week, he was positive SPT and RAST for sesame and cashew (and other tree nuts).

We switched to a new allergist for numerous reasons and overall I'm happier with her than with our previous allergist. She has my son (almost 6) scheduled for a sesame challenge tomorrow because she feels that his history warrants it in spite of his test results. Sesame is definitely a PITA to avoid and involves regular calls to companies -- it'd be more than great to take it off our allergy list (he's also allergic to egg). However, I'm getting increasingly nervous as the challenge approaches because his RAST results feel really high to me (22).

Is there a positive predictive value for sesame? Has anyone had a challenge for sesame? If so, how did it go?

admin rebekahc:
PennMom
Posted: 08.04.2008 at 08:32:40

I've never seen a PPV for sesame. DD tested positive to sesame for the first time this year (.89 or something). Sorry I can't be more help!

Is your son peanut allergic also? The cashew could have been cross contaminated with peanut- if it wasn't the cashew that caused the reaction.

I would definitely express your concern on the number with the doctor before doing the test though...there's no reason why you can't still ask questions and make sure you are in agreement with proceeding with the food challenge.

Good luck with the food challenge- update us when you get a chance.

« Last Edited by PennMom 08.04.2008 at 11:02:47 »

admin rebekahc:

Posted: 08.04.2008 at 02:47:54

I don't know either. My son had a bad reaction, cardiac spasms(chest pains) and his level is 51.0 so pretty high. I hope the challenge goes well if you decide to go that route. HUGS

admin rebekahc:
GoingNuts
Posted: 08.04.2008 at 03:51:47

I have no info to offer, just {{{hugs}}} and sympathy on the sesame thing. I agree it is a real PITA, and of all my son's allergies, that's the one I'm most eager for him to outgrow (not that I'm particularly hopeful at age 14 ).

Best of luck,

Amy

USA
Mom to two boys:
DS #1 - Age 20, Superbad OAS
DS #2 - Age 17, PA, TNA, Soy, Sesame and Chick Pea

"Speak out against the madness." -- David Crosby

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version