login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Insensitive public school-Egg allergy  (Read 5480 times)

Description: Lunchroom problems

Offline maeve

Re: Insensitive public school-Egg allergy
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »
Just wanted to add the following -- it is from "Responsibilities of a Substitute" from Loudoun County, Virginia Public Schools:

Food and Rewards. Do not give food of any kind to students. Allergies are prevalent in our school system and some students may have severe and even life-threatening reactions to the most innocent of treats. Rewards such as stickers are encouraged but a note left for the teacher to acknowledge good behavior is usually the best option.

Link: (page 31) 
http://www.lcps.org/cms/lib4/VA01000195/Centricity/domain/69/subcentral/Substitute%20Guide%202012-13%20PDF.pdf

No reason why this cannot be the rules for the regular teacher too -- at ANY school!

Just something for thought as you work to fix things with your school.

As part of the county's food allergy policy, it is also recommended that teachers not use food as rewards.  However, in my experience we've had at least one teacher not do that and then that teacher had the nerve to ask me if she could give DD a food treat (Lifesavers) in front of DD.  Nice way to put me on the spot and make me the bad guy again.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Mayashappyplace

• Commercial Member
  • I am a Freelance Writer and Blogger
    • Maya's Happy Place
Re: Insensitive public school-Egg allergy
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 01:49:57 AM »
Things are changing and there have been sweeping changes in the food allergy community for all of us. The Americans With Disabilities Act has been expanded to cover food allergies in the United States.

Here was my recent blog about it:

Link removed by admin.  Please read our Terms of Service and Commercial Links rules.

Food for thought.  :coffee:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:25:22 AM by admin rebekahc »
Anaphylaxis to peanut and soy (including oil)
Severe allergy to some tree nuts.
Also severely allergic to lentils and anything peas (severe allergy to some legumes).
Contact and environmental allergies as well.