FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Recipes & Cooking

I have a ONE-pound ham steak - HELP?

(1/1)

hezzier:
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/20064/start/1

------------------------------------------Content copied from original thread ----------------------------------------
GingerPye
Posted: 09.14.2011 at 11:18:30    
Okay all you cooking pros ---

I have a 1 lb ham steak sitting in the fridge. I want to throw it in the crockpot for supper tonight as we will have crazy supper times -- DD will eat before dance class and the rest of us during her dance class.

What should I throw in with it? And since it is only a 1 lb slice, how long? 1 hour? 2 hours? I know I can't do any longer than that before it gets all dried out.

Keep in mind we have milk, egg, and peanut allergies.

Thanks for any help!

« Last Edited by GingerPye 09.14.2011 at 12:59:45 »

_----------------------------------------
rebekahc2

Posted: 09.14.2011 at 01:42:22    
I've never tried ham steak in the crock pot. I'd be tempted to just heat it in the skillet (only takes a few minutes). If you'll be eating at different times, I think the later eaters could have it room temp - or I guess you could just heat each portion as the person needs it. You could make a side dish (mashed potatoes or rice?) to keep warm in the crock pot, instead.

-------------------------------------------------------------
hedgehog

Posted: 09.14.2011 at 02:42:34
Yeah, I wouldn't do a ham steak in a crock pot. I usually cook it under the broiler--about 2-3 minutes per side. I like to keep one in the fridge for those days when I have limited time to make supper. And it is good at room temp, or even cold. Or it could be cut into individual servings, as Rebekah suggested, then each serving heated as needed.

----------------------------------------------------
GingerPye

Posted: 09.14.2011 at 02:45:18    
LOL! Well, this just proves what an idiot I am in the kitchen.

I thought I could dice it up and add stuff and have something in the crockpot that people could dish out whenever.

Oh well, broiler/skillet will work fine. Thanks, guys!

-----------------------------------------------

CookingMom

Posted: 09.14.2011 at 03:14:33    
GingerPye...I just saw this and really don't have much time to reply fully...however...yes, you could dice it up and put it in a crockpot with a few cans of beans, tomatoes, corn, broth and rice. Add onions, green peppers if you like and whatever seasoning except salt. The ham is salty enough. The rice will thicken it to become a casserole consistency. I don't have exact measurements right now but think that for every cup of regular uncooked rice, you'll need about 1 1/2 cups of liquid in the crockpot (more on stovetop or oven cooking). Depending on quantity, cooking time could be about 3-4 hours on high for a full 6-qt. crockpot or 6 hours on low.

--------------------------------------
GingerPye

Posted: 09.15.2011 at 08:13:28    
CookingMom, yes, that's what I was thinking of.

When you have time, could you post a recipe of sorts? with ingredient measurements?
-------------------------------------
Thank You!
YouKnowWho

Posted: 09.15.2011 at 08:18:10    
I just heat up in a skillet on the stove to take the chill off.

Otherwise I chop it up and add to a lot of recipes that I won't post since you cannot have Smiley

Mom used to bake in the oven for a few minutes with pineapple slices on top. My kids have just started to like pineapple so I plan to try with them in a few weeks.
-----------------------------------------------   
GingerPye

Posted: 09.15.2011 at 09:14:33    
I cornered DH to grill the ham last night. Fed DD something different before dance class. It was hardly worth grilling, tho, because DH does not like things overdone (i.e. "cooked") and so it really was just warmed up a bit. bleh

paparenttoo:
When we were dealing w/milk allergy I used to make scalloped potatoes using soy milk. Cube the ham steak and throw it into the scalloped potatoes while it bakes. Serve w/a steamed veggie.

My old recipe:

3 tablespoons safe margarine
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ fresh ground pepper
2 ½ cups soy milk
6 medium potatoes well washed w/skins on and thinly slice.

Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 2 quart casserole dish w/Pam. Place sliced potatoes and cubed ham in casserole dish.

In a 2 quart saucepan, melt the margarine over medium heat. Cook the onions in the margarine for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook until smooth and bubbly – stirring all the time.

Stir in the soy milk, heat until it comes to a boil – stirring all the time. Boil one minute. Remove from heat and pour over potatoes and ham. Cover w/foil and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 60 minutes more. Potatoes should be tender to the fork.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version