FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Our Son Passed Away  (Read 72799 times)

Description: mumaluke's son

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
Re: Our Son Passed Away
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2012, 08:05:43 PM »
Great to see you here, Joe!  Thanks so much for your important reminder.   Good luck with your move and stop in more often!
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline maeve

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2012, 12:01:30 AM »
Joe,
Thanks for the reminder.  I was so happy last year when DD could finally get the flu shot. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
 :bye:  :heart:
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
We are all vaccinated as of this morning.   :smooch:

Whenever someone asks my DD about being able to tolerate baked egg, and what is "best" about the progress toward greater tolerance, she answers "being able to get a flu shot!"  I hope that she's been able to convince some of her peers (and their parents!) of just how important this is.   :yes:

twinturbo

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
We got the boys' done this morning.

Offline rysmom

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2012, 04:17:48 PM »
thinking of you today  :heart: :heart:
me -Latex, avocados, bananas,AND everything outside (at least the 56 things they tested me for) :(
Ry(19)- peanuts, Omnicef, PABA, wheat, corn, sesame. Outgrew eggs, soy, strawberries & tree nuts.

Dallas, TX area

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2012, 05:16:54 PM »
OKay, I need to schedule the kids' flu shots.  They had their first flu shots a year ago, done in two parts.  All went well last year --- do I need to have it done in two parts again this year?  Anyone know?
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2012, 05:53:57 PM »
I called our allergist on this one since we're in the same boat-- they said that a Hx of severe egg allergy would still mean that a regular walk-in shot clinic/pharmacy would turn her away.  We went in and one of the allergy nurses gave DD hers-- then we waited for the usual 40 minutes.  DD said her arm was really itchy, but so far so good.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline mumaluke

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2012, 07:55:34 AM »

Offline mumaluke

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2012, 08:09:02 AM »
We are all vaccinated as of this morning.   :smooch:

Whenever someone asks my DD about being able to tolerate baked egg, and what is "best" about the progress toward greater tolerance, she answers "being able to get a flu shot!"  I hope that she's been able to convince some of her peers (and their parents!) of just how important this is.   :yes:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »
Just got a note back from our allergist that we can go ahead and do the flu shot in ONE shot instead of breaking it down into two parts, since last year's two-parter went okay. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline eggallergymom

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
My DD's pediatrician will not administer the flu vaccine to her, given her history. But neither will her allergist! He said that given her history and most recent RAST testing, she is not a good candidate for the flu shot. And yes, we talked about this after the new ACAAI recs.  He said she'd need to do some sort of sensitivity protocol involving several injections prior to getting the actual flu vaccine. But since our last discussion about this, she's been diagnosed with asthma (and it was a really rough summer between allergies & asthma.) I think I may seek out a second opinion. I hate the idea of her going into another flu season exposed, particularly with the asthma.
DD-age 9, LTFA to eggs, seasonal allergies, mild allergic asthma

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2012, 10:25:58 PM »
Oh wow.  I think I might, too. 

-------------------------

mumaluke I meant to post this last week:  As I was getting my shot, I prayed for your family, as I did last year. 

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »
They aren't available here yet.  The clinics start up the end of October.  I prefer to go to our family doctor - partly because my son sometimes has problems with shots.  Not allergy related problems, but he comes very close to passing out.  So, I don't want to put him through that in a crowded area.  At the doctor's office, ds gets the needle first, then he lies down on the examining table while I get mine.  Then the doctor and I just chat until my son feels well enough to leave.

Usually, the first doses the doctor gets go to people in high risk groups.  One year, we got our shots with that group because we were caring for an elderly relative.  Now, my husband is considered in the high risk group, but my son and I are not, so we usually can't get the shot until the second load of shots the doctor gets.

Offline mumaluke

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »
They aren't available here yet.  The clinics start up the end of October.  I prefer to go to our family doctor - partly because my son sometimes has problems with shots.  Not allergy related problems, but he comes very close to passing out.  So, I don't want to put him through that in a crowded area.  At the doctor's office, ds gets the needle first, then he lies down on the examining table while I get mine.  Then the doctor and I just chat until my son feels well enough to leave.

Have you thought about getting your son the flu mist? No needles, just sniff it up your nose. That's what our daughter gets every year.