login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Our Son Passed Away  (Read 74317 times)

Description: mumaluke's son

Offline hedgehog

Re: Our Son Passed Away
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »
Well, last year our doctor here said absolutely no flu mist.  Period.  Of course, at that time, she was 17 and living at home, so I made her get the shot.  I don't what they would say at the schools health center.  Personally, I really want her to get the vaccine, whatever form is acceptable, but she does not see it that way. 

Funny thing is that she is so afraid of needles.  Really, in other things he has a very high threshold for pain.  I have seen her willingly put herself through agony that most people would find intolerable.  But she is terrified of that second or two of minor pain.
USA

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2013, 08:10:19 PM »
The kids & I got ours today.  Thanks for the reminder.  :heart:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »
Thank you for this reminder!

Looking up CVS Minute Clinic locations as they should do flu shots for those under age 18 -- in event cannot get to ped or other source.

:heart:
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »

Funny thing is that she is so afraid of needles.  Really, in other things he has a very high threshold for pain.  I have seen her willingly put herself through agony that most people would find intolerable.  But she is terrified of that second or two of minor pain.

My youngest is like that.  Though, I'm not sure it's the pain.  I don't know what it is about needles.  He'll get it and seem fine....then he turns white and I'm catching him.  I'm sure nice he's old enough he won't get the shot either.  I'll try, but in the end, I won't be able to force him.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2013, 06:22:11 PM »

My youngest is like that.  Though, I'm not sure it's the pain.  I don't know what it is about needles.  He'll get it and seem fine....then he turns white and I'm catching him.  I'm sure nice he's old enough he won't get the shot either.  I'll try, but in the end, I won't be able to force him.

There is some sort of physiological response, I can't remember the name of it, that a certain percentage of the population has where you tend to pass out with needles and such.  A nurse explained it to me once, both my brother and I have it.  Neither of us have any problems with shots anymore, but drawing blood or IV placement is for sure passing out.  Sometimes it can be prevented if I'm laying down, but not always - I passed out two or three times when they were trying to get the IV in the ER during my gallbladder issues.

It used to really upset me, because I felt like I should be able to get over it, but several nurses have told me that there really isn't anything to do except warn them before hand.  I can see where it would make someone not want to get shots - it isn't the pain of the needle, but generally I get really sweaty and gross, pass out, and get super nauseated.

Offline mumaluke

« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2013, 07:42:38 AM »
No, not much you can do... except pointing out that a college campus virtually guarantees exposure-- and that she doesn't have YOU to help her if she's sick... and that she can probably not really afford to miss two weeks of class.

All the college profs I know get them annually.  Almost religiously so.

DH and I will get ours in the next two weeks.  DD... probably still has to get hers at the allergist's office.  I'll call today and find out. 

Timely reminder!!  Thank you so much, mumaluke.  I hope that your family is well.   :bye:

There are other options than the standard shot, there is the mist as well as the micro needle. All you can do is educate your daughter and hope she makes the right decision :)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2013, 05:16:50 PM »
DH and I both just got our regular flu jabs for the year. 

DD should be next week, after her allergist's appointment.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2013, 09:19:10 AM »

There is some sort of physiological response, I can't remember the name of it, that a certain percentage of the population has where you tend to pass out with needles and such.  A nurse explained it to me once, both my brother and I have it.  Neither of us have any problems with shots anymore, but drawing blood or IV placement is for sure passing out.  Sometimes it can be prevented if I'm laying down, but not always - I passed out two or three times when they were trying to get the IV in the ER during my gallbladder issues.

It used to really upset me, because I felt like I should be able to get over it, but several nurses have told me that there really isn't anything to do except warn them before hand.  I can see where it would make someone not want to get shots - it isn't the pain of the needle, but generally I get really sweaty and gross, pass out, and get super nauseated.

That's it exactly.  I do not make a big deal of it, and I always suggest he lie down.  Sometimes he thinks he'll be fine, so he sits....and at first he is fine....then I see the colour draining.

When he went to the ER over his toe nail, when the doctor put a needle in to drain it, I told him to lie the bed down and the doctor didn't listen.  When the doctor almost got hurled on, then ds almost fell off the gurney.

~~~~

As for flu shot.....not available here yet.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2013, 07:41:44 PM »
DD got her flu shot today.   :coolbeans:

took 2hr... and we wound up back at the allergist's office ANYway, but it was otherwise completely uneventful.  A lot of medical practitioners are still not aware that there is quite minimal risk in giving flu vax to those with egg allergy.

Western U.S.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2013, 06:00:18 AM »
She hasn't done it yet, but I talked DD into getting it!  She has already been sick three times and she's only been there a month.  Nothing major, just cold-like stuff, but it drove home the point that she will certainly get the flu once it hits campus unless she gets the vaccine.
USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2013, 07:49:56 AM »
That's really great, Hedgie!

Western U.S.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2013, 08:05:57 PM »
Got mine last week!
The 3 is silent.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2013, 09:36:01 PM »
Still not available here.  doctor's receptionist said around mid-October.  The cities web-site says clinics start in November.

Offline Ree

« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2013, 03:05:28 PM »
My DS#2 (egg allergic) got his flu shot at the allergist this week!  We never got flu shots before this post and now I wouldn't think twice about it.  My other 2 are scheduled next week.

Thank you for educating and reminding us.. :thumbsup:
DS1 (11) - PA
DS2 (9) - MA, EA, PA, TN (on baked milk for 1 year)
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2013, 07:43:06 AM »
3 kids done yesterday (DD no longer has to wait since this is her 4 year with an egg allergy and no problems) so we were in and out in 10 minutes.  DH got one at work this week.  My turn next week.