Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Contact reaction--what's in these things?!: vinyl disposable gloves  (Read 662 times)

Description:

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/20080

One of DS's classmates had a contact reaction yesterday to some gloves that DS brought from home. A disposable vinyl glove they were using for science.

Anyone know what kind of powder they put on these gloves?

SilverLining
Moderator1

Posted: Sep 15th, 2011 at 02:01 pm    
quite often it is soy based. My sister had problems when her employer switched brands of elastic bands and the new ones were coated with powder.

My husband (no known allergies) cannot wear gloves with powder. It dries his skin horribly.

Are the gloves latex?

CMdeux
Moderator1

Posted: Sep 15th, 2011 at 02:06 pm    
MANY, MANY people without latex allergies cannot wear "powdered" exam gloves. Period.

It's the reason that most medical offices and research labs strictly use "powder-free" exam gloves-- either latex OR nitrile, I might add.

maeve

Posted: Sep 15th, 2011 at 02:20 pm    
Sep 15th, 2011 at 02:06 pm, CMdeux wrote:
MANY, MANY people without latex allergies cannot wear "powdered" exam gloves. Period.

It's the reason that most medical offices and research labs strictly use "powder-free" exam gloves-- either latex OR nitrile, I might add.

I had a similar reaction to vinyl gloves that I wore while painting a few years ago. It looked as if my hands had been burned. I don't think the gloves were powdered but I do think they contained nitrile.

I haven't used those types of gloves since. I'm not allergic to latex so for home projects I stick with latex gloves. Not sure what I'd do if I had to use gloves around someone with a latex allergy.

GingerPye

Posted: Sep 15th, 2011 at 04:13 pm    
Not latex gloves. We specifically bought non-latex -- no latex allergy here but didn't want to tempt the allergy gods.

Vinyl but with a def powder on them.

momtoAidenDeclan

Posted: Sep 15th, 2011 at 04:20 pm    
it's the powder my NKA college roomie has a horrible reaction to the powdered gloves (she's a nurse, BTW)

Janelle205

Posted: Sep 15th, 2011 at 04:23 pm    
Not sure what is in the powder, but I can't do powdered gloves either - makes my hands all itchy and then 'burned' looking, like maeve.

Always made sure to get special gloves when I was in college - a couple of the labs had the powdered type...yuck.

being human

Posted: Sep 16th, 2011 at 04:13 am    
no latex allergy here, but the powder burns me as well!

dreadful have to rip the gloves of and run under cold water.
bright red hands stinging like mad.

Susan

Posted: Sep 17th, 2011 at 02:19 pm    
Yup, many people who can tolerate latex, can not tolerate regular powder gloves.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:06:51 AM by SilverLining »