Candy corn?

Started by krasota, September 19, 2011, 07:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

Becca- Jelly Belly are peanut and egg free.  But they DO have tree nuts in the facility.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

MandCmama

Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

GingerPye

Thanks, MandCmama, I've got this on my shopping list to go find!  DS will be so excited if I find it!!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

MandCmama

Let me know if you can't find them. I've still seen them here and I'd be happy to send them to you!
Pennsylvania, USA

GingerPye

I'll let you know --- going to look today.

Otherwise, I'm looking over candy corn recipes.  I have one that i tried a few years ago --- it was okay --- difficult to make -- and really didn't taste like candy corn to me, but DS loved it. 

I'm finding some other recipes, but I am wondering if anyone else has tried making candy corn --- what recipe did you use --- did it taste like candy corn? 

It seems every recipe I find looks like a lot of work.  But, if it tastes like the real thing, I will try it.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

GingerPye

Quote from: MandCmama on October 08, 2011, 05:17:47 PM
Let me know if you can't find them. I've still seen them here and I'd be happy to send them to you!

Guess what --- I finally made the trek to TJMaxx, and FOUND THE CANDY CORN!!!   :D

(yippee!!   :thumbsup:)

I had to look quite a bit.  It was not with the rack of the Jelly Belly jelly beans.  Finally found it over by the Halloween decor.  Rather expensive, but when I showed it to DS today after school, his reaction was worth it!!  He reminded me he hasn't had candy corn for years . . . . yes, I know!  I've been looking for years for a safe one.  He was probably 5 the last time he had any, Brachs before they added soy and then the cross-contam. statement.  (he was allergic to soy at that time)

And it tastes good.  DS and I had to open and try right away.  It has the right texture and consistency; the taste is ever so slightly different, but not enough for DS to notice.  He's HAPPY.   ;D
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

MandCmama

Yeah! $3.99 a bag here.... Getting used to shelling out big bucks for things I never used to think about twice! So glad you found them and they were worth the wait! :thumbsup:
Pennsylvania, USA

krasota

Still nothing safe for us, so I bought corn syrup and confectioner's sugar yesterday.

Working up the urge to make it, but must wait for the rain to stop.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

GingerPye

krasota, I'm sorry there isn't a candy corn that is safe for you.  I'm interested to know about the recipe you use.  DS still wants the "fun" of making it, LOL!
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

GingerPye

krasota -- I cannot recall what it is you have to stay away from, but here is a candy corn that I received an email about this morning -- we cannot have it, but maybe? you can??
http://www.peanutfreeplanet.com/A_and_J_Bakery_Candy_Corn_p/ajcandycorn.htm
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

maeve

GP,
It's the eggs in candy corn that's an issue for krasota and for my DD.  And for krasota, I think soy is also an issue.

While Jelly Belly candy corn is egg-free, it's not safe for those with TNA.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

GingerPye

Yes, we cannot have eggs, either.  I did not know about the tree nuts.  Gotta go back and read.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

GingerPye

The Peanut Free Planet candy corn has egg whites and soy protein.  Sorry -- I could not remember krasota's allergens.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

GingerPye

So, tree nuts in the facility of Jelly Belly?  Are they run on a shared line?

Okay, went back and read.  I do see they are run on a shared line.  Bummer.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

krasota

Eggs & soy.  The first post lists the problematic allergens.  Peanuts & many tree nuts, gluten, soy, egg.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview