imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: The PRE-504-Evaluation Meeting BRAND NEW THREAD  (Read 2574 times)

Description: Planning, Prep, and Process

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
The PRE-504-Evaluation Meeting BRAND NEW THREAD
« on: September 19, 2011, 01:26:29 PM »
I'm intending that this thread will eventually be in our SCHOOL RESOURCES.

For many of us in the USA, the "504 Process" has a PRE-504-Eval meeting.

This meeting is typically used by the school to make determination if the child meets their "tests" to even go forward to a full 504 Evaluation Meeting.

For some, this is a mere formality and many/all are simply referred on to the 504 Evaluation/Determination meeting.

For others, however (sadly) this may be a meeting where there is a gatekeeper bound and determined to NOT forward child on to the 504-Evaluation.

OF course, everybody's experience will be unique on this topic.

This thread may have parallel discussions -- whether this "gatekeeping" is even legal/allowed, AND, if you HAVE to go through one of these pre-504 meetings, exactly HOW to plan, prepare and the process.

As always, I (we!) welcome commentary and questions.

~ ~ ~

So, if you've had to go through one of these "Pre-504-Eval" meetings, please share experiences and strategy, process, whatever you'd like to add to this conversation.

When/if you need to link to another thread from our many past conversations, if you would PLEASE try to find the thread link that is started HERE at our new home!  (Yes, I know, some of the SCHOOL RESOURCES threads are not here yet . . . work in progress . . . it's coming as fast as possible.)

Thanks to all & Hey there!

~e

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:28:09 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

Re: The PRE-504-Evaluation Meeting BRAND NEW THREAD
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 02:52:16 AM »
Tucking this old link into here.  Need to change the link to our "new" link once get this thread moving along . . .

(Noting for myself as Mod in this section:  this following link/thread might also be better fit in SCHOOL RESOURCES.)

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=11472&start=1

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:56:48 AM »
Will post some gems & jewels as to quotes/statements from excellent reliable resources.  I'll edit them into this post as I work.  I will do me BEST to have link and attribution here with each quote.  I may or may not comment on each one.

OCR
"In evaluating a student suspected of having a disability, it is unacceptable to rely on presumptions and stereotypes regarding persons with disabilities or classes of such persons."

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/504faq.html    (See #19, abt half-way down their page)

This may be very helpful in dealing with those on the 504 Pre-Eval/Eval committee who STILL rely on (personal) presumption in their "decision" making.   ;)

~ ~ ~

One more recent link (new member's 504 challenges and experiences) that I want to tuck in here as well.  I'll get the NEW/replacement link for this in here . . . eventually.

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/19875/start/1
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:24:54 AM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »
From Wrightslaw:

Child Find

Section 504 puts the responsibility for identifying and locating students with disabilities on the school. A school must annually undertake efforts to "identify and locate" every qualified individual with a disability residing in the school's jurisdiction who is not receiving a public education.

http://www.wrightslaw.com/advoc/articles/504_IDEA_Rosenfeld.html