FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: LOVE this comment...  (Read 3987 times)

Description:

Offline IowaMom

LOVE this comment...
« on: September 22, 2011, 06:20:46 AM »
I'm trying to do some research for an upcoming meeting w/ my teacher and nurse. I stumbled upon this comment left and I just LOVED it and thought I would share.  The brief article was regarding food-free classrooms, and the author mentioned how the world is not food free and kids need to learn to navigate that-this was a food allergy mom's response: 

September 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm(2) Tricia says :
True, the world is not food free and learning to navigate it when you have food allergies is important. But the world is also full of strangers and criminals too. Kids need to learn to keep themselves safe from that threat too, but I don’t think it would be wise to invite a sex offender into the classroom 25 times per year so that the kids can get that lesson in school. I’m all for sharing birthday cupcakes and treats to celebrate kids special days — at their own birthday parties held outside of school.

SO TRUE.   ;D

(here is the link to the article of someone should want it...  http://foodallergies.about.com/b/2011/09/12/food-free-classrooms.htm#gB3 )
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

Offline hedgehog

Re: LOVE this comment...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 07:29:56 AM »
 :yes:
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:13 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline socks on a rooster

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Love it! Yesterday when I was dropping off 4 yr old DS at preschool (no allergies), I heard a mom say she was going to bring in a pizza for her son's bday. Why should she be able to do that, but the allergic children who in the case *are paying* to attend that preschool should have to deal with it? Why do they need to eat pizza before lunch? This makes me crazy!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 10:04:45 AM »
Exactly!!

There are many things that we understand to be developmentally inappropriate for young children.

voting, driving, serving in the military...

Maybe kids should learn to do a LOT of other things.  After all, they'll need to do them in the real world, too. 

Truly, I have always wanted to tell some over-entitled cupcake queen that if her child "needs" to have THAT much fuss surrounding his/her "special day," to the point that INSTRUCTIONAL activity needs to stop for 20-40 other children....

then maybe they ought to be homeschooling.   :paddle:

Well, that and "Now who isn't for having their kids live in the "real world," eh?  How many offices stop work for the day so that Mom can bring in a cake and everyone will 'celebrate' for the afternoon?  Think that will work out in the military?  I'm sure that a surgeon can just scrub back in after the cupcakes get eaten..." 

:fishslap:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:13:48 AM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »
I've at times used the analogy of teaching a child to cross the street when the argument that my child needs to manage her food allergies is laid at her feet.  We teach our children from a young age how to cross the street each time we cross with them holding their hands; however, we know full well that they will not be able to do this safely without us until they are much older.  It is the same with food allergies:  We teach our children from a young age at every meal how to manage their allergies but we're there to guide them because we know that they cannot do this safely until they are more mature.

OP. love that quote you posted. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 11:05:37 AM »
Yes, Iowa mom, that is perfect.  And maeve, I like your analogy, too!!   
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Love  love love it!  :thumbsup:  :heart:
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »
Great thread.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline joanna5

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »
Yup, I use the crossing the street analogy, too, Maeve.  :)
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline maeve

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »
Yup, I use the crossing the street analogy, too, Maeve.  :)

A good thing about that analogy is that other adults are often involved in helping kids to cross the street safely (crossing guards, sometimes other parents, etc.) so it is helpful in showing how all the adults around a kid with FA need to help that child.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline MamaMia

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »
Where's the "LIKE" button???  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :yes: