FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Recipes & Cooking

Enchiladas!!

(1/2) > >>

CMdeux:
Okay-- I know that there are quite a few of us that rely on.... well, I have X, and I have Z.  What can I make with these items that is allergen-free and uses up the largest amount of both with only what I have on hand....

which is why (unlike those who can have eggs+milk, who have frittatas, omelettes, and quiche at their disposal for this purpose...) I keep corn tortillas and salsa on-hand pretty much ALWAYS.

Things that I have put in my enchiladas and the reviews from family members:

quinoa, chicken, black bean and summer squash, topped with salsa verde-- this is a perennial hit with everyone in our house.

Spanish rice and refried black beans with anaheim peppers -- also a favorite around here, either with verde or roja...

eggplant and onion with goat cheese and basil, topped with pesto (well, basil, garlic, and olive oil)-- I loved this...  but my family termed it "weird."  <shrug>

shredded pork and veggies (minced asst of broccoli, zucchini, onion, carrots, bell peppers, anaheim peppers)-- always a winner-- best with a red enchilada sauce.

What does everyone else like to put in enchiladas?

GoingNuts:
They're sort of a repository for whatever is leftover, KWIM?  My family's favorite is the simplest - leftover grilled chicken with grilled veggies, refried beans, cheese and salsa.

I have to say your quinoa/black bean/squash one had me drooling.  That sounds over the top yummy.  :yes:

ETA: As I was mashing up some avocados, I realized I forgot to include guacamole.  We love having some guac to dip the enchiladas in!

krasota:
Leftover roast chicken shredded and mixed with salsa verde.  A good salty, crumbly cheese.  Roasted tomatillo salsa.

Sweet potatoes & corn & zucchini.

Sweet potatoes & black beans.

I don't do tomatoes and have issues getting a good red sauce which isn't bitter from the peppers.  I usually make fresh salsa verde this time of year.  Lots of tomatillos right now--roasted works out well.

Sometimes I bake them with cheese.  Sometimes I dip the tortillas in hot salsa (or fry them with oil) and fill them with warm chicken, then keep warm in the oven.  Mix the leftover salsa with sour cream, cover the enchiladas, top with cilantro & crumbled cheese.

GoingNuts:
Can you share your salsa verde recipe?  The farmer's market I'm going to later usually has tomatillos, and I've been wondering what to do with them!

CMdeux:
Ditto-- I have about a bushel of the things  :o and I need to figure out what the heck to do with them all.

Soon!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version