FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Food Issues...  (Read 3967 times)

Description:

Offline Foxy

Food Issues...
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:10:59 PM »
Hey...  I don't know what the heck is going on with me but something is amiss.  For the last few months that I can remember, every time I eat, not matter what I eat, my gums in the back have been becoming irritated and a bit swollen like no one's business. 

I don't know why it's happening and it's getting creepy.  It's time to see an allergist again!
clickable

Offline nameless

Re: Food Issues...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 12:01:11 PM »
...might be a gum issue, not food issue. Last time I had infected gums (in the back, upper and lower) no matter what I ate or chewed they'd get irritated and swell up. It's the motion/force of chewing that'll aggravate it. You could try flossing gently and see if they swell up or bleed with flossing.

Also - things like B12 or VitD or magnesium deficiency can cause irritated gums.

I'd recommend a dentist/periodontist too.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Foxy

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »
Thanks A!  Figures Hubby n I would lose dental tilthe new year.  Also, I didn't mention that I had blisters on my tongue after eating at Arby's yesterday.  This has happened every time I eat there and I thought they were safe.  ???
clickable

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »
Well, for PA, Arby's is safe.  DS and I eat there more often than I'd like to admit.  Have you always eaten at the same one?  Maybe it's a franchise and they have something unsafe?  Or maybe the vinegar-y sauce is just too much for your tongue?

Looks like no nuts anywhere on the menu and the only may contains are the apple and cherry turnovers - may contain treenuts.

http://www.arbys.com/food/allergens-sensitivities.pdf
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Foxy

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
I eat at the same one.  i just dont understand it atm.
clickable

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 09:55:19 AM »
Want to second the dentist suggestion.  My brother has some sort of condition with his gum tissues - they're not infected, but for whatever reason, there is an overgrowth of tissue.  Apparently you can choose to have it surgically removed, but he hasn't wanted to go through this.  Certain things will cause his gums to swell and hurt - I think that the two biggies for him are pistachios and intact pieces of beef - he'll eat a hamburger, but strips of beef in a chinese entree will make his gums hurt.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »
Too much salt will do it for me - Arby's is very close to the threshold. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Foxy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 05:03:03 PM »
That may be it too YKW.  The reason why I say that is from January to June, DH and I started a diet consisting of high protein/low fat.  We also lowered our salt intake.  I wonder if I've screwed something up without knowing?  The things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm. . .
clickable

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »
My mother never used salt.  And when she discovered low sodium canned goods, there went the little salt I got at home. 

DH would salt ham if I let him.

You can se how it's a struggle to season well for him.  So while I use way more than I ever did before (and it is still not nearly enough but I will gag), foods like Arby's and Wendy's (which is way saltier to me than BK or McD's) will mess up my tongue.  Also wonder if it is some strange addicitive preservative they are using as well.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Foxy

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
Im currently fighting through a course of antibiotics at the momemt.  they r not my favorite but i have noticed a huge difference since starting them.  my gums dont hurt like they did n i have been giving the left side a break from chewing.  i favor that side when eating.  i had a spot worn down where my wisdom tooth lived.  it has started to heal so... hope this is behind me!
clickable