FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Main Discussion Board

Hope diminishing...

(1/5) > >>

YouKnowWho:
So right now I am kicking myself because I administered Benadryl last night and we have an allergist appt on Monday afternoon.  Can't remember if Benadryl was the quick or the long one to avoid.

But more concerning is that DS2 was covered in hives after being in the lunchroom while others were eating Chickfila.  My first thought was his enviromentals are out of control and I was being overly dramatic.  And then the little girl in his class touched him while eating her sandwhich and there was a nice group of hives where she touched him.

DS2 tests positive for peanut.  We don't know if he reacts.  We know he doesn't seem to react to tree nuts.  But we had an incident years ago where his arm turned bright red and hot after picking up peanuts in the shell. 

We eat peanut butter in the house - moreso DH and I though DS1 loves pb cups and Cracker Jacks.  DS1 is insanely washing up after he eats those though (his thought is that it sets a good tone for everyone else and he knows we have to do it before we got to certain people's houses regardless of what we ate due to their allergy sensitivity).  He is not at an allergy free table - just at the end of the table with the specific instructions for the staff to wash with clean towels before and after he comes in.  He does seem to react to a lot of legumes.

Our allergist appt is because DS2 is miserable, complete with recovering from a sinus infection.  I am at the point of considering allergy shots.  Debating about canceling due to the Benadryl now as he is a hard one to even test.  He tests negative to a lot of foods we know he is positive to and positive to foods he can eat.

Thoughts?  Firing squad?  Can this ever be easier??

Macabre:
Burks has us wait two weeks after having benadryl. Of course, DS had it four days (I think) before his last one, and peanut was huge. As was the histamine control (but peanut was lots bigger).

And fwiw Burks says that Chik-Fil-A is fine.  Not like we're going to try to prove him wrong--or right though.  I don't believe that we'll be eating peanut oil soon.  DS hived up at CFA before his vegetarian days.

momtoAidenDeclan:
I think you have to put off the appt :(

Our allergist has said that PB near by ususally isn't a problem (as you're finding in your home) - no fumes or dust, you're neat and you clean up properly from it - but pn oil and regular pn are mor of a problmes for non-ingested reactions.

Good luck

CMdeux:
Ugh.. yes, testing it probably off the table now-- our allergist figures that even with little kids (who metabolize things fastest) that the (clearance) half life of diphenhydramine is still about 8-14 hours, and they want to be out to a point where only 1-2% of the drug remains.  <sigh>

So after 24 hours, perhaps only 2 half-lives... still 25% on board...  another day, perhaps still 6.25% on board....

well, you get the idea.  4 days is kind of right at that break point.

BTW, clearance times are at least double that with the second-gen, longer acting antihistamines like cetirizine (zyrtec).  SO you went with the right stuff, for sure-- just not sure that there's enough time that your allergist will clear him for testing.  You won't know until you ask. 

Sorry.   :-[

rebekahc:
Well, that sucks that you may not be able to do testing, but sometimes you just gotta use the Benadryl.  Maybe you could keep the appointment to discuss the recent issues and have a RAST done instead of the SPT?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version