imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Necessary and Appropriate . . . the FACTS, policies, procedures  (Read 6121 times)

Description: Fact based thread

twinturbo

Re: Necessary and Appropriate . . . the FACTS, policies, procedures
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »
The reflexive answer from schools tends to be about supposed fairness to other kids. Note I am not endorsing that merely posing that all too common response. Any persons have a solid, to-the-point response they like to use in this situation? My brain is stuck in first gear. Possibly neutral or reverse.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 08:21:32 AM »
More and more it seems that schools / districts are DEMANDING that the physician's letter plainly state,

"These accommodations for [child's name] are necessary and appropriate for the safe inclusion of [child's name] in school activities" 

I might suggest adding/modifying as follows:

"At a minimum, these accommodations for [child's name] follow best practices and are necessary and appropriate for the safe inclusion -- physical as well as emotional safety -- of [child's name] in ALL school activities."

Thoughts, suggestions, experiences to share?

Offline rainbow

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 09:36:07 AM »
That wording is good. i can't see an Allergist objecting to writing that...and it puts it in schools own language. 
You said schools are requiring this - did schools that you know of suggest this actual wording, or is this your inference?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
Terminology (from a USDA slide show for an Oregon foodbank link =
http://www.slideserve.com/presentation/71112/USDA-Civil-Rights-Training  )

Differential treatment

Disparate treatment

Disparate impact or discriminatory impact = discrimination that is not intentional but has that effect; rule, policy, or practice that may be neutral on its surfacebut impacts a protected class disproportionately

Reprisal/Retaliation = negative treatment of someone because he/she filed a complaint or complained about discrimination; retaliation could involve denial of service, harassment, intimidation, etc.; retaliatory behavior can result in finding of discriminatory retaliation even if the original complaint filed by the individual is baseless.

This is something that is federal agency speak.  Seriously-- when I spoke with DOJ regarding our <ahem> swimming situation, I was strongly encouraged to file with DOJ because it was a clear instance of a failure to change "practices, policies, and procedures" which were discriminatory-- and that while it was not inherently illegal to maintain such PPP as an organization, the refusal to alter them in the face of a clear case of exclusion of a QID was (and presumably, "is").

Make sense?

Now, yes, the burden of proof still rests with the individual to demonstrate that the PPP are inadequate to permit inclusion.  But don't worry there, since most of these organizations are MORE than willing to give a person an endless number of examples of both exclusion and even of undue burden from which to draw...

"sit in the special seat."
"just don't participate in..."
"have you sit this part out..."
"go down to the ________ office instead..."
"have your mom or dad provide you with...."
"wipe down your own equipment..."
"provide your own equipment..."

And believe me, if DOJ has a problem with this in the context of ADA, you'd better BELIEVE that it's a problem in the context of 504, which is far more stringent (no "reasonable" provision).
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »
"provide your own equipment" in the context of LTFA equates to the requirement that the student/parent "provide your own food"  (for any event that is school sponsored and/or school sanctioned) where the school or other entity is providing the food for everybody else . . .

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 01:51:08 PM »
rainbow --

yes, getting this type of "exact wording" requirement from some schools/districts and ONLY will take it from the physician before they will even consider that accommodation . . . of course, this seems often to apply ONLY to the accommodations that the school doesn't want to mess with or grant.

One more hoop and such bs.

This is being requested by schools/districts even in the face of strong allergist's letter that includes statement, "I consider [child's parents] to be experts in managing this condition."

In some instances, this is a square filler for them -- they want it in writing from attending physician as part of their documentation . . . but in many other instances it is more stalling tactic in order to deny accommodations so that they don't have to grant them.  They want to wear out the parents and get parents to capitulate.

Plus, of course, each time parents have to go back to the doctor it costs the family more money $ and precious time.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:54:10 PM by ajasfolks2 »