login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Exclusion, more links & info 2011  (Read 2172 times)

Description: To be merged with Resource thread

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Exclusion, more links & info 2011
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:21:53 AM »
Finding a few things I'd not read or don't recall.  Wanted to have a thread here to add them and to have them highlighted for everybody -- just in case many others have also not seen!

I HIGHLY recommend everybody read the entire article I link below.

Excerpt:

Kipling D. Williams, a Purdue professor of psychological sciences, studies how ostracism hurts individuals as much or even more than a physical injury. His research is reported in the current issue of Current Directions in Psychological Sciences. Credit: Purdue University photo/Mark Simons

Ostracism or exclusion may not leave external scars, but it can cause pain that often is deeper and lasts longer than a physical injury, according to a Purdue University expert. . . .

"Being excluded or ostracized is an invisible form of bullying that doesn't leave bruises, and therefore we often underestimate its impact," said Kipling D. Williams, a professor of psychological sciences. "Being excluded by high school friends, office colleagues, or even spouses or family members can be excruciating. And because ostracism is experienced in three stages, the life of those painful feelings can be extended for the long term. People and clinicians need to be aware of this so they can avoid depression or other negative experiences."

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-05-professor-pain-ostracism-deep-long-lasting.html

We need to get link in here to his research report in the referenced pub as well.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:25:32 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

Re: Exclusion, more links & info 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »
From Wrightslaw

For educational institutions, the term "program or activity" includes any of the operations of a State educational agency (SEA) and local educational agency (LEA) receiving federal funds regardless of whether the specific program or activity involved is a direct recipient of the federal funds.2

2 A school district is not only prohibited from engaging in discriminatory conduct involving its own programs and activities, but is also prohibited from directly or through contractual, licensing or other arrangements, aiding or perpetuating discrimination against a qualified person with a disability by providing "significant assistance" to an agency, organization or person that discriminates. Among the factors that will be evaluated in determining whether a public school is providing significant assistance to a private group are:
direct financial support,
indirect financial support,
provision of tangible resources such as staff and materials,
intangible benefits such as the lending of recognition and approval,
the selectivity of the school's provision of privileges and resources, and
whether the relationship is occasional and temporary or permanent and long-term.

Worth reading and review:
http://www.wrightslaw.com/advoc/articles/504_IDEA_Rosenfeld.html

Offline ajasfolks2

Re: Exclusion, more links & info 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 04:11:16 PM »