FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Family Meals  (Read 5936 times)

Description: Venting and hoping for suggestions

Offline Janelle205

Re: Family Meals
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 10:49:37 AM »
Agreed - I generally just bring a dish to family functions that is large enough to share and safe for me.  Then I can eat at least a little bit of what everyone else is eating.  If there's anything particularly dangerous on the menu, and I'm worried about cross-contamination, then fiancee and I pack a separate container for me - to make sure it's safe.

Many of the things that I have brought have turned out to be favorites, and they'll ask me to bring them again or ask if they can take home some of the leftovers.  Some of them are still surprised that 'allergy food' can be just as tasty (or better) than 'regular' food.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 12:04:20 PM »
Sounds like your inhalation reactive, though.Did I read that correctly? So simply making different food, while a great idea, isn't an option. It's the same for me.  :heart:

I always just avoid the dinner portion. Come later and hang out after it's aired out. Or come early, then when they start to cook, I leave. It's tough sometimes, especially when family doesn't get it.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Astyas

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 04:00:47 PM »
100% Right, SweetandSour. I start having problems breathing as soon I smell the pepper. I think you're right about just avoiding food functions. It'll make Thanksgiving awkward, but maybe the inconvenience will change things for Christmas >)

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »
Well, I always figure that yes it will be awkward not going. BUT it is also awkward and dangerous to go. So DH and I have a nice meal or do something special for ourselves, then show up to stuff on his side of the family.

:heart:I hope they get it soon for your sake. It stinks when family can't change food for health sake.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Stinky6

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »
Doesn't any red pizza sauce have pepper in it? 

Sorry about your family.    :(

Offline Susan

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 07:56:15 AM »
When I asked her about the sausage and pepperoni she said, "Well, what is everyone else supposed to eat?"

Makes you want to respond, "You can eat all the sausage and pepperoni you want at my wake!  For now it's off limits."  ~)

It's really hard when your mom doesn't get it.  My good friend has an allergy to capsicum (peppers) and her mother can't get her head  around it.  Her mom is quite good about my daughter's allergies and that makes it even harder.

Remember that you are dealling with this 24/7 and it's a bit of a learning curve for everyone.  Your family are not there yet and you do have to protect yourself as others have mentioned.  They could also be in a bit of denial about the severity of your allergy.  No one wants to think a loved one has a life threatening condition and it's hard enough to get the general public to believe in peanut allergies let alone one that is less known like this.

Be aware of anything that says spices, anything with heat and topical ointments that increase circulation, give a rosy glow, puff up the skin (volumizing lipstick) etc.
http://www.drugs.com/npp/capsicum-peppers.html

Offline Astyas

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 07:47:29 AM »
Doesn't any red pizza sauce have pepper in it? 

Sorry about your family.    :(

I'm so terribly sorry to take so long in getting back to you, Stinky6! *sigh* The thing is, is that the pizza places don't seem to know exactly what's in their sauces so, it's a little bit of trial and error and a lot of lapse in judgement... I'm still kind of learning how to tell my parents "no".

For instance, I can eat Little Caesar's, but I can't even walk in a Domino's. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:10:20 AM by Astyas »

Offline Astyas

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »
Ahh!! Thank you so much for your wonderful tips, Susan!!! I totally agree with you! When we go through the cupboards and the only edible food are the green beans there's a little spark of fear in the family's eyes 0_0 I suppose the ingredients that jump right out at me are a little more difficult for them to see and remember :/

Offline MamaMia

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »
Oh Astyas, I feel for you!!  :grouphug:

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this.  I understand the fear of the smell and the vapors of the allergic foods being cooked that could possibly get into your room.  Your home is suppose to be a safe area for you to relax and feel comfortable and be yourself. 

You COULD get these Mr. Yuk or similar stickers and put it on EVERYTHING that is unsafe to prove a point.  Visually it would make such an impact!
http://www.upmc.com/Services/poisoncenter/Pages/educational-materials.aspx

Offline Astyas

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 10:20:20 AM »
ROTFL!!!!!!  I adore your sticker idea, AdvocateByFate!!! I'm super tempted to go through the kitchen and do just that!!!!