MRI + Contrast + food allergies?

Started by gufyduck, October 04, 2011, 03:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gufyduck

I'm have to have a MRI done on my shoulder, and they want it with contrast.  The guy I was speaking with was pretty clueless, so I figured I would ask here.  Is there any concerns with food allergies and the contrast?  I'm allergic to shell fish, tree nuts, peanuts, and sesame. 

Thanks!

nutless

My father, who has eczema and is allergic to green peppers and red dye, has to take Benadryl before he has a contrast done.
DS (13) Allergic to peanuts/tree nuts/soy/sesame
USA

CMdeux

It's a common belief that contrast media is off-limits with "shellfish" allergy.

I'm just not sure if there is really anything to it.

It seems like (working from memory here, so PLEASE investigate this one fully) an 'iodine' anaphylactoid response is the one that is actually worrisome.

I'd hunt down in the shellfish allergy forum and the other allergy forum, too, gufyduck.

It may be a thread in the archive, but I know that this has been discussed before.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

rebekahc

It's often assumed (in the medical community) that shellfish allergic = reaction to iodine and therefore reaction to contrast, but it is not true.  Iodine reactions are separate from shellfish allergy.  Now, that's not to say that you can't be both shellfish allergic and iodine reactive, but they're not the same thing.  I can't tell you how many times I've been told (by doctor/nurse/technician) that I can't have contrast because of shellfish allergy.  ~)  Usually the radiologist knows that's false. 

I do remember a thread at the other place, I'll see if I can dig up the link...

Contrast Dye - for x-rays/sonograms
IVP (kidney) dye and shellfish allergy
Hidden sources for Fish/Shellfish
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

AllergyMum

I would suggest that you have your allergist review the situation and the specifics of the medication that they want to use on you for the mri
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

gufyduck

Thanks for the links Rebekah.  I had only been able to find one of those.

Most of what I have read from those links and elsewhere online seem to indicate it is more a myth.  Other sites make references to CT scans and contrast is an issue for shellfish allergies, and often say a MRI with contrast is an alternative.  I also read that reactions to the MRI contrast are relatively rare (less than 1%).

I did call the hospital where it is going to be done, and the person I talked to said it could be an issue for CT scan contrast and shellfish but it is different for MRI's so no possible issues.

Thanks everyone!

CMdeux

Western U.S.

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

CMdeux

:yes:

I've had a CT with contrast-- no issues whatsoever due to allergies (latex and shellfish).

Western U.S.

Macabre

So I know there is no relation between shellfish allergy and reaction to contrast dye. Yet when I can it in 2011?  I had full body hives for five days.

becca

McC, after having a mild reaction once, I was pre-dosed with steroid the night before, and morning of, by way of 2 very large pills.  Ask about that to prevent a reaction.  They stayed with me and checked my BP and how I was feeling a few times as well, before I was allowed to leave. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Macabre

Yes, I have a script for pred and will start dosing twelve hours before. Also Benadryl. I'm glad to hear you've done this.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview