FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Really! Groupon! Really! OMG  (Read 6341 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Really! Groupon! Really! OMG
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »
Thank you both so much for taking this on.

How very sad that anyone would think that the exclusion of children would be funny.

:'(

Even more disappointing that the organization as a whole, apparently, feels that it isn't (at a minimum) in very poor taste.

There are ways of mentioning disability and including it, even in a lighthearted or humorous way, which are not EXCLUSIONARY or demeaning.

How unfortunate that Groupon doesn't seem to understand that distinction.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
I'll do that Maeve.  And I love Terri Mauro. Folks here will recognize the Expect Respect Manifesto.  She is @mamatude on Twitter.  And I've communicated with her on work-related matters. She's great.  :)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 10:32:12 AM »
They really, truly need a professional copywriter. Personally, I didn't find it offensive but it really is some awful copy. Whoever is writing repeatedly about food allergies needs to work out whatever hangup he or she has about it and move on. For their sake.

Offline Susan

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »

twinturbo

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 04:02:50 PM »
^I don't think it's a new one although it is another one.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »
Guess We Have Our Answer from Groupon

Terri Mauro is so wonderful!! I'm such a fan.

Here's what she said in her About.com Special Needs blog:
Guess We Have Our Answer from Groupon
By Terri Mauro, About.com Guide   October 13, 2011

Last week I wrote about a couple of essays on the Groupon site that made light of food allergies -- one advising kids to learn about their bullies' allergies and another suggesting they put up a "no peanut allergies" sign on their treehouse. Parents of kids with food allergies complained on Groupon's site and in a Facebook group urging the company to rethink its hurtful words.

And now, as reader Sharon has pointed out to me, another smug little article has gone up: "The Groupon Guide to Apologizing." It's written in the same sort of self-satisfied snarky tone as the others, not really funny so much as delighting in its incorrectness. And then we come to the last line, under the subheading "Atone": "Punish yourself by spending a day using only analog time tellers or depriving your body of satisfying nut products."

Well.

There will be many who say that it's oversensitive to believe that Groupon is responding here to readers who protested to its other essays on behalf of kids with peanut allergies. And that's fine. I am oversensitive. You bet I am. I'm oversensitive because people keep whopping kids with special needs with a two-by-four and then saying, "Oh, stop complaining. It's funny. Lighten up. What, can't you whop anybody with a two-by-four anymore? Sheesh!"

For once, you know what? I'd like us to have the two-by-four.

I don't know how many parents of children with food allergies belong to Groupon. I don't know how many in the extended family of people who don't care for disability concerns being openly mocked are members. Perhaps the membership of Groupon is entirely made up of the kind of people who write nasty comments on posts about peanut bans. In which case, Groupon is playing to its audience, and good for them.

But if you're not one of those people, and you are a Groupon member, it may be time to think about not being one. If you are not a Groupon member but regularly patronize businesses that do business with Groupon, it may be time to let them know where you will not be spending your money. Since our words don't seem to be having much of an impact, maybe our dollars will.

Does that make me a humorless, overreacting, politically correct censor? If so, I'll take Groupon's advice and hang that in my Badnesses Cabinet. With pride. How 'bout you?

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Seriously...what a**hats.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 03:30:47 PM »
I don't often do this but I can't help myself. I hope some of those groupon a$$es develop their very own LTFA.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »
Well, statistically, they no doubt will.  (Joel Stein comes to mind immediately.)

<sigh>

It's just a terrible waste that shame doesn't actually obligate anyone to offer up a public apology or retraction of some kind under certain conditions.   :tongue:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline my3guys

Offline maeve

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 06:10:02 PM »
Interesting:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/the-missed-red-flags-on-groupon/?src=tp

Clearly, this "irreverent" streak at Groupon comes from the top:  “We’re almost on the other side, and the negativity leaves us well positioned to exceed expectations with an I.P.O. baby that, having seen the ultrasound, I can promise you is not one of those uglies.”

That's a nice corporate culture the CEO is cultivating.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline my3guys

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 10:07:45 AM »
I guess the only good news is the statements in poor taste are not limited to food allergies! :o