login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: How do you deal with going to the movie theater?  (Read 5054 times)

Description:

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: How do you deal with going to the movie theater?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 09:56:15 AM »
I'm contact reactive, but never have had any issues. I always check seats, then wash my hands, then have popcorn and a cherry coke. I do wear jeans and a hoodie, only because our theater thinks it's 100 degrees out all year long. ~) I have gone hoodie-less and been fine.

Yes, this exactly (except I have Diet Coke).
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline maeve

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 11:10:04 PM »
We wipe down the seats and armrests before DD sits down (thankfully, the seats at the theater we go to are leather).  DD has the popcorn and safe candy (like Skittles or Twizzlers).  We don't strip off our clothes when we get home.  DD has never had a problem (and she's contact reactive to her allergens).
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Jessica

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 03:52:52 AM »
I called every theater within an hour drive and every single one has cloth seats. I was hoping to find one with leather or vinyl seats but no luck.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 05:37:08 AM »
take hand towels to put down on the arm rests?
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 11:20:39 AM »
I called every theater within an hour drive and every single one has cloth seats. I was hoping to find one with leather or vinyl seats but no luck.

Ours don't either, Jessica.

We just have DD wear a light jacket and long pants, and then she tosses them into the wash when we get home.

We bring her popcorn in a ziploc bag, and buy her a bottled water at the theater.

(We don't go when it's crowded, though-- often the first showing on a Sunday works out well for us since it's before church lets out.)

The other time that is terrific is the first showing on any regular school day.  This is only a good option for those that school at home, of course.  But it works out well for us.   :thumbsup:

LOVE me a nearly empty theater. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 11:24:47 AM »
My ds is mfa and is extremely contact reactive to dairy and peanuts. We take him to the movies all the time and have never had a problem. Regardless of the time of year he wears long pants and long sleeves to the movies. And we bring in his own snacks (we don't ask we just bring)
So you don't have any trouble with anything transferring from his clothes to the car's seat and then back on him at a later time?

That's pretty much what we do, and no, we haven't.

I think this is because we have a house policy of handwashing, though-- before eating or drinking ANYTHING (even if you haven't been outside the house) and upon arriving home (no matter where you've been).

It seems to work pretty well-- though we've been MUCH more cautious if we know that we've been somewhere that peanuts are being consumed en masse.  We don't (any of us) go places like that very often, however.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »
We also make sure everyone washes up before eating and when coming in from outside. However, I have seen my kids touch their clothes while eating or even drop something on their lap and pick it up and eat it.

I guess I just don't want to end up with a situation (residue on the car seats) that would be an ongoing issue or be something that would make us have to deep clean the car seats (since I don't have anything that I could use for that).
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »
Thanks everyone. I don't want to bring attention by bringing along crib sheets and such-that's why I only put the sheets on the car's seats. I did wipe the armrests down but even felt funny doing that-like people would just think we are incredibly germ-phobic. Part of my concern is that my dd is almost 16 now and will probably be going to the movies with her friends someday, and won't want to have to bring along a sheet or anything like that. I guess I'm trying to assess the actual risk. btw as far as we know she hasn't had contact reactions, but my concern is something getting on the car seat or something like that and her touching it while eating in the car (we rarely let them eat in the car but she does chew gum, which she gets out of the pkg with her fingers, and on vacation we do let them eat in there). We did not eat at the movies and don't plan to-I've told my kids they can manage a couple of hours of the day without eating.

My dd is 16 also.  When she was younger and went to the movies with me, I always had her sit on a beach towel.  Also, we went to the first show of the day, got there early when the lights were on, checked the seats to make sure there was no spilled stuff, and only went when the movie had been out for awhile so that the theater was mostly empty so we would have room to find clean appearing seats and not have anyone sitting close to us.  She has been going to the movies with friends for over a year now.  She obviously did not want to bring a towel.  The first time she agreed to sit on her sweatshirt and then afterwards put it in a shopping bag.  Also, it was not the first show of the day.  What teens want to go to the movies at 10:30 A.M.?  The second time it was with a boy and we agreed that we would try having her not sit on anything, just make sure that the seat looked clean (in the dark, lol), see how it goes, and if she has symptoms then we would have to tighten things up.  However, that has worked fine for her.  She has now been to the movies around 30 times with no special precautions other than making sure that the seat looks clean, and being aware of what other people around her are eating.  The first five or so times I checked her jeans afterwards to see if there was any spilled food or crumbs from the seat and there was not.  Now I don`t even check.  She is allergic to milk and peanuts.  The only food she gets in the theater is candy in a box and a closed up drink (soda in a can is okay, but soda from the machine where they hold the cup up to the machine not okay).  I think that has more to do with the milk allergy and concerns about contamination of the server from butter.  I had read on the old board about reactions to movie theater drinks due to contamination. She used to get the drinks that the server serves and get a cough or runny nose, and I think that probably was from residue on the server`s hands.

Also, she is not allowed at the movies unless someone other than her is epi trained.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:13:16 PM by Carefulmom »

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 09:23:18 AM »
My ds is mfa and is extremely contact reactive to dairy and peanuts. We take him to the movies all the time and have never had a problem. Regardless of the time of year he wears long pants and long sleeves to the movies. And we bring in his own snacks (we don't ask we just bring)
So you don't have any trouble with anything transferring from his clothes to the car's seat and then back on him at a later time?

No, to date, it has never been a problem for us.

In the summer he will change in the car from pants to shorts, but that is due to the heat not allergies.

For us, his siting in a movie theater is no different than sitting anywhere else (school seats, restaurant seat, subway seat, bus seat etc)  Everywhere (except our home)  people are eating & drink food he is allergic to and are doing so sitting in chairs.  With his MFA, almost everything most people eat contains at least 1 of his allergies so we have worked with him on not touching his face, lots of hand washing and other allergy safety procedures to give him a balance of keeping him safe will letting him be a regular kid.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada