FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Laundry detergent reaction...again  (Read 4821 times)

Description:

Offline Dewey

Laundry detergent reaction...again
« on: October 10, 2011, 01:31:18 PM »
So I've been at college for the last month or so, and I've been managing it really well so far! My dining hall is really good about food allergies so I've been pretty lucky in that regard. I mentioned earlier that I was a little concerned about using a communal laundry room because I react to a lot of different laundry detergents. I worked out a system with a friend in my dorm - she uses a detergent that I'm not allergic to, and we figure out a schedule and try to work it out so I can go and do my laundry right afterwards so her laundry load kind of rinses out other detergent residue. For the most part, that's been working out.

However, I think there was a miscommunication or something - either I didn't make it down to the laundry room immediately after my friend, or I put my laundry in the wrong machine. For whatever reason, I am currently covered in hives everywhere my clothes touched, so pretty much shoulders down. I took a shower and put on clothes that I know hadn't been washed with the current load, but I am itchy and extremely frustrated about being allergic to just about every laundry detergent in the world.  :banghead:
Allergic to walnuts & almonds, strawberries, shellfish, fish, coconut, penicillin, codeine, aspirin

EA's/SA's

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Laundry detergent reaction...again
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 02:37:58 PM »
Oh, I'm so sorry you're miserable!  Hopefully this is a one time deal and things will go more smoothly from now on.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 12:21:47 AM »
that stinks!

For solution suggestions:

- do a load of empty wash yourself before your load --- put a cup of vinegar in to help clean it out

- or -

I'm wondering if putting half a cup of vinegar in your load will help clean out the residue from other detergents?  It doesn't make your laundry smell, but it's really great at getting rid of odors...which are a type of residue...so it might work...I don't know.

Good luck,
Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline maeve

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:45:14 AM »
I wonder if the school machines have an extra rinse cycle.  If they do, can you try that.  Good luck at finding a solution. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 07:01:17 AM »
How awful!  Can you talk to the administration about this issue?  You shouldn't need to pay to run an empty load before yours, but clearly you can't risk this happening again.  Maybe there's a different laundry machine you can use that they can make sure is safe for you?

Offline Linden

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:47:37 PM »
Back when I was researching laundry detergents for my little one with eczema, I came across a product called Puraderm.  The company claims the product breaks down detergent residues and leave no detergent residue behind itself.  I didn't end up using it and have no idea whether this product works or whether the company is even legit.   But maybe it's a place to start.

The Web site is:
http://www.puraderm.com

DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
I agree that you need to say something to your RA (and maybe to campus disability services?) at this point.

Being covered with hives or wearing clothing that isn't clean are not a good set of choices, and it isn't something that you SHOULD have to set aside time to worry about.  You have enough to do otherwise.   

Maybe a particular washer needs to be made "yours" on a particular day of the week or something.  <sigh>

I'm sorry for your reaction!
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:56:29 AM »
So sorry to hear this.

I have to double wash all my son's clothes regardless of the detergent that is used.  The first wash is with soap but only a tiny tiny amount.  Then I rewash the whole load with about 2 cups of white vinegar.  It is time consuming, but is the only way that I can keep his eczema on check.

Any chance that you may be using too much soap in the load?  I only use about 2 tablespoons soap for my son's clothes and they come out really clean... he is a little guy who plays very hard outside and is usually very dirty, but still his clothes get clean on a very small amount of soap.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada